Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Looking for a little help, I've only built a couple engines so far and haven't run into this.

Last Tuesday got three laps in at Mosport, and death sound starts. Pull off track , done for this day. Pulled head, burnt intake valve on # 1. Heads are off to be rebuilt, hopefully in time to make next track day.

The problem is a piece of the valve bounced around in the cylinder, leaving a dimpled finish on top of the piston, kind of golf-ball sized dents. Cylinder walls are fine. Piston is a TRW forged flat-top . Edges of piston look good, no dents or damage to where the rings are. Should I not worry about it , or should I replace it? If I replace it, re-use the rings or install new rings?

1972 Mex 302, 351W heads, solid lifters, basic 6500rpm street/track build.

ThanKs for any insight!

Shortblock has about 15,000 miles since rebuild.

·
Registered
336 Posts
TRW pistons can take a beating! as long as its not near the edge and pushed down on a ring land.I would install a head and basic cold compression test it to see how it seals (use the other good sealing head) or go through the engine,thats your choices the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I'd say you're OK as long as the dimples didn't leave any sharp edges. If there are any sharp edges just grind/sand them down.

·
Registered
991 Posts
trw slugs do take one hell of a beating, ya any sharp eges bring down. Your all good

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Hey is that the mosport in Bowmanville Ont?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 6/17/06 12:58pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<<Hey is that the mosport in Bowmanville Ont?>>

Yes indeed. Nice track, lots of high-speed stretches

1 - 6 of 6 Posts