Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm picking up a 71 Mach 1 project car Saturday. I'm the current owner of a 65 Galaxie 500 so I'm no stranger to Fords or Ford Muscle, but new to Mustangs. Can anyone help decode the VIN for me? 1T05M159530. Car is in pretty decent shape. Has a built 351 Cleveland and a C4. It's Grabber Blue with silver stripes. Not sure if it is the original color. It has black interior. I'm sure i'll have more questions along the way. I've always wanted a big body Mach 1 and now I have the chance.

Cheers!
Bryan

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi! I'm picking up a 71 Mach 1 project car Saturday. I'm the current owner of a 65 Galaxie 500 so I'm no stranger to Fords or Ford Muscle, but new to Mustangs. Can anyone help decode the VIN for me? 1T05M159530. Car is in pretty decent shape. Has a built 351 Cleveland and a C4. It's Grabber Blue with silver stripes. Not sure if it is the original color. It has black interior. I'm sure i'll have more questions along the way. I've always wanted a big body Mach 1 and now I have the chance.

Cheers!
Bryan
1 = 1971

T = Metuchen , New Jersey

05 = Mach1 ( Sportsroof only )

M = V8 351 CID 4V

159530 = Mustang Built That Year

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. According to the guy selling, the motor was rebuilt with a Scat 408 stroker kit. He says the C4 was rebuilt as well with stronger internals. Can a C4 take more abuse than a C6? Maybe he has his transmissions mixed up. The car has an aftermarket shifter in the floor. I think it may have been built to go fast :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the info. According to the guy selling, the motor was rebuilt with a Scat 408 stroker kit. He says the C4 was rebuilt as well with stronger internals. Can a C4 take more abuse than a C6? Maybe he has his transmissions mixed up. The car has an aftermarket shifter in the floor. I think it may have been built to go fast :)
From what I've read from the factory the c6 was stronger than a c4 and thats why the c6's were put into heavier cars and trucks BUT with a c4 rebuilt with stronger internals it can be as strong as a c6 and weigh less. Our Mach1 had a FMX when we bought it and now has a AOD which was built by PATC with stronger internals and we abuse it here and there with no issues at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Went to pick up the car today. Was a little rougher than pictures revealed (aren't they all). It has some small pits and a little rust in the trunk floor, underside of the hood and the deck lid. Not bad, but will need attention. It will need a new gas tank and lines. The worst part of it all is the wiring under the hood is butchered beyond belief. Someone really made a mess of things :frown:. There are things unplugged and wires spliced and wires just hanging out of looms. I can't get power past the solenoid and I have to jump it to get any noise at all. It has a blue Ford electronic ignition box (MSD) and rev limiter laying on the passenger side floor. We were able to turn the motor by hand so it's not stuck. Can anyone offer any advice on how to clean this mess up and get the motor cranked? There was also a push button mounted to the side of the shifter housing and when we pressed it, the solenoid clicked but then the button fell apart :confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It lives!! Stopped by the shop last night and they fired it up for me. New starter, battery cables, solenoid and voltage regulator fixed it up. They repaired the ignition switch as well so it starts with the key. They are cleaning up the other wiring mess under the hood and will get the electric fans to work. It will still need a new gas tank and lines and the carb adjusted. He also replaced the 3,000 RPM chip in the stutter box with a 7,000 chip so now it will rev and it sounds sweet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts