Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I deicided to rebuild the bottom end of my mototr before i put some heads and a cam in. I was readiong the article about building a 400 horse 302 and the guys at F/M said they found a "high-mileage 1989 5.0 block out of a daily driver mustang," and "paid $50 for the short block, you should have no problem getting your hands on a used block for a similar price." I'm looking for almost the exact same thing. SHould I just start talking to friedns and friends of friends, or does anyone know of another good source. I'm thinking of checking out the junk yard scene, but I'm not sure what to look for.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thats the hard part, im no expert but I would check an engine shop to see what they SAY. You might be able to buy a good one at one of these shops. If they say negative things, I would get a second 3rd, 4th, ect... opinion at other shops. I would also check junk yards as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hit the scrapyards and buy a rebuildable block. Any roller block afte '86 should work as you will have to change parts and get machine work done on it anyway. The 86 pistons are nasty dished things with no valve reliefs and it'll cost ya extra for new pistons.

If the block needs boring, then you are in for new pistons and can add at least $300 to you price tag. If the engine has the heads still on, you never know how bood the cyl walls are. I'm anal about my engine parts and I would just opt to have the block bored, honed, and put 4.010 forged aftermarket pistons anyway. Oh, and be SURE to use good rod bolts.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Clarification to above post of mine.

The machine work on an 87 or newer block might not have to include cyl boring and that could save you not only the $100 for the boring, the $300 for the pistons, and $100 for rings. That's a big spend, but I consider that not optional for my motors. Maybe I waste money, but I can't see redoing my motor for $500 I saved if I'm wrong.

The FM article reused the pistons and only honed the cyl walls. 400 HP is getting respectable and I would rather hit the block with more than new rings in this case.

My $.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts