Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing one of two motors available to me for my CLEAN '70 Maverick. One is a '87 HO block and the other is a '95 block. Both blocks have approx. 80-90k on them.

The person selling the '95 block keeps talking about the factory high performance heads. Could these be GT40 heads he's talking about. Really wearing me out and selling the motor on the heads. What's up with em. Mentioned they are small chamber like the old style. I know this raises compression, but are they 40 heads.

Comparing apples to apples, which of these two motors are more desireable and does anyone know which one put out more HP in it's stock form. They could be the same... I don't know. I did read something about NOT being able to use the standard 289/302 water pump or timing cover (can't remember which one) on the '95 block.

I also remember something about a release valve issue, but not sure if either of these two were affected by this.

Any help appreciated. Money is sizzling in my pockets!! Both are the same price.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
235 Posts
It depends. Heres's my 2 cents. If you are going to convert it to a carb then go with the 95. If you want to do EFI stick with the 87 and convert it to mass air. I have a 95 short block but I will use a 92 Mustang EFI intake. The 95 5.0L is probably out of an Explorer. The heads may actually be the GT40P. It has a 58cc chamber and on a stock short block would give you about 9.5:1. Two ways to tell, on the end of the head if you find 4 vertical ridges or ribs it's a GT40P. Or if the spark plugs are pointing just about straight out instead of at a sharp angle it's a 40P. They are excellent iron heads, I have a set myself. The 94-95 computer for EFI is hard to adapt for a classic car. I uses those chipped keys and the EGR is internal. It can be done but will take a little more work. By the way, GT40P heads are good but not expensive. I found a set of brand new ones for $250. So don't let this guy push you on the heads. I guess the big question is what do you plan to do with it.

Well, that's my unprofessional opinion for what's worth.

·
Registered
991 Posts
87 will have a factory forged piston if you need that. The 95 probably is an explorer motor like mentioned and would be the better choice if you plan on doind nothing but dropping the longblock in. The GT40 head is far better than the E7's on the 87' Your doing an efi swap also, or carburetor?

·
Registered
310 Posts
You will need to use an older timing cover to have provisions for the dip stick in the front cover( front sump) and fuel pump provision.( if carbed)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on running a carb. I too have heard it's more difficult to get the efi system going. It can be done as N62 stated, but at a greater expense... already checked. Plus you'll need to run internal fuel pump. No time for all of that. I'm basically just looking for one to drop in, do the necessary mods to get it going with a good carb set up. I May bump the cam up a bit, but to where I'm changing internals/valvetrain etc. I want the best performance that would give me what I mentioned above in terms of the mods I would do.

Can someone recommend a good cam (manufacturer also), or combos that have been known to work well, also taking into account that these may be GT40 heads.

What is benefit of forged piston, or WHY in fact would I need them.

The '95 block came out of a Mustang... The car was involved in a smasher/totaled. My next question was how hard was the car driven. Something like this may lead to long-term badluck engine wise. Not sure what IMPACT this has on motor. Any concerns here.

One of them will be bought, which one. This is a street/show car. Plan on running an nice gear to get things moving. Not looking for too chopy of an idle, but want to hear the cam and still be streetable. Not looking to get into converters and all that. Did all of this with my '66 Mustang conversion. Just a good street car.

Rich

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok, a carb makes it easier. The wrecked Mustang, where was it hit? If it was hit in the sides or back then the engine is probably fine. If it was hit in the front, I don't know if I would buy it. That's just my personal opinion. I would have to know how hard it was hit. And you're right how hard was it driven. Of course the 87 has forged pistons so that's a plus too. The main benefit is that they are tougher. The 95 will have the Hypereutectic pistons. It's a good piston and strong but if I wanted to add a supercharger they wouldn't take a lot of boost. The forged pistons would get you more options down the line for add ons. You could always pick up some aluminum heads for either engine. The 95 will also probably have either the E or B303 cam. Very nice street cams.

I guess what "I" would do is get the 95, provided it wasn't whacked hard in the nose. Dump the EFI intake and get a Edelbrock Air-Gap intake with a 650 carb. Maybe pull the heads and have a good shop port them. If they really are GT40P then MAC makes headers that work. That would be a very strong street engine. Again that's just my opinion. I'm sure others may have their own suggestions. You have two great possibilities and it's going to be hard to pick one.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
As mentioned above, P heads will have 4 cast-in vertical bars, GT40 heads have 3 bars. I don't think P heads were available until 97. The later block no doubt has better heads than the 87.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was reading on another forum that the 40P heads were the last cast iron head available for a 302, so they may be it. Will need to take a look.

·
Registered
991 Posts
if it a mustang gt original engine it doesnt have a gt40 or gt40 p head, those heads came on lightnings, cobras and explorers. Yes its the last iron head made by ford.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, does anyone know of another factrory high performance head that could have been on that block. Maybe he is using the term loosely and just regular heads. One thing he is sure about is that they are closed chamber.

Woody, that motor is sick. I hope I never get the need for speed like that. If so, you know where I started from.

·
Registered
991 Posts
what did the motor come out of?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Guys,

Correct me if Im wrong here. But If the heads are not gt 40's or P's. That would make them E7's. If that is the case the only advantage the 95 would have is that it is newer. The 95 should have the same heads as the 87 unless the 87 is from something like a passenger car (E6 heads) or something.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both motors came out of Mustangs. I was asking about the heads because when I inquired about it, all he rants about is the hipo heads/being small chambers etc. Is that at least the case even if they are E7's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did some more digging. Ron Morris Performance says the Mustangs had E7 heads, Early Explorer engines (1995 to 19971/4) came with GT-40 Heads, Late Explorer engines(19971/4 to 2001) have GT-40P cylinder heads. Of course, they could have been swapped out by someone. The GT heads are better than the E7's. I know GT40P is cast into the head but it's under the vavle cover. The 4 ridges is the best way to eyeball id the heads. You could have the E7's ported and milled. Just watch the cost.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've done some quick research on the net and it sounds like the forged pisons are not what I want. Did get some conflicting view though. It sounds like they have more wearability on the cylinder walls due to expansion. I do not plan on ever adding a blower/supercharger so not sure why I would need them. I hear they are heavy as well.

More opinions on this please.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not tryin to be an ass but your lookin way too deep into this, buy the 95 and be done with it already. Forged pistons are by far superior to a cast or hyper.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree Woods, and I Know I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I may also be looking towards doing something in the future with either motor. As with everything, just like to stay afloat with the latest and greatest. Some guys get a thing in mind and go with it. I am a more thorough and think things through a bit more.

Hell, I may not buy either of them

·
Registered
36 Posts
Forged pistons do expand more. That much is true. But Ford clearanced the blocks for forged pistons expansion. I've never heard of them wearing a block more. As for the heads if they are the stock heads that came on the motor they are E7's same as the 87' motor. And the engines both should have the same HO cam unless they have been swapped. Unless you plan to run a mechanical fuel pump there is no need to swap the timing cover. You can get a fuel pick up from an 85' carbed car and run an electric Holley blue pump. They are noisey though. You'll also need a fuel pump eccentric if you plan to run a mechanical pump. No need to swap the dip stick out. If you plan to swap the cover and go mechanical just plug the dip stick hole in the cover. I would say get the 87' with the forged slugs you never know you may want to put a small shot of spray on it one day. As for a cam the motorsport "E" cam is a good choice. I also like the Trick Flow stage one cam. Both work well in mild motors.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mugen on 10/6/06 7:06am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mugen on 10/6/06 7:08am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 26 Posts