Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to falcons. I think I'm going to buy a 1963 futura hardtop 2-door that's super clean. It has a 200 I6 and 3 speed auto. Everything works but the gas gauge. It's all stock, not hotrod at all. Anything I should know about this year/model and run away from? Are parts a nightmare? Heard these motors are pretty solid. I'm looking at keeping it fairly stock, maybe just lowering it a little and putting some form of header or exhaust manifold for duel exhaust with glass packs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
63? Parts are a piece of cake. Almost everything you could ever need is being reproduced by someone. Body parts are a different story. You can get floor pans for sure, and I think quarter panels for a 63, but other parts you'd have to source from a wrecking yard. There's still quite a few out there for the taking though.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hahaha d_d

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just remember when I had my 61. Everything I needed for it was available for the 63, but not the 61. It was so frustrating. Of course as soon as I get rid of it, they start making all the stuff I was looking for.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What the hell you play the harp?!! Ha I havnt bought the car yet, going to look tomorrow. It's super clean, all new interior in California. The guy was asking $7800 obo. I'm bringing $6500 seems like he will take it. Is that too much? Seems falcons are moving super slow on Craigslist here

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
36 string story to follow.... :)

YOU are INSANE unless they guy has actually got the only rust free 63 in the history of california.... I've owned 7 California Falcons from 61-63 and all of them had severe rust issues except ONE, which was garage kept it's entire life that I got for $500 bucks...

This car has a new interior, that's cool and at a cost of about $1100 to $2500 to actually restore an interior it could be good or bad. What would the car be worth with a crap interior? $2500? $3500?

Is it truly a solid car or is it a bondo queen? You need to do some serious looking deeply at the car when you get there.

I am only trying to save you from the "Should Have" disease.

Look in the trunk, but look UP at the trunk lid, around the folded inner seam where the skin comes together, and in the cut outs. Look for rust, bondo nipples, other colors of paint etc... etc..

Look under the car from 3 different angles at the front of the floor boards, and the floor pan cross members, look for small sharp pinholes. Look for too much seam sealer which means a hole being covered etc...

Check the rear frame channels for swelling or bulging indicating a lot of dirt that got in and gets wet and freezes and rusts the channels from the inside out.

Look under the hood. Look up at the hood, do the same thing there. Then look at the engine bay, the vin number location, match it to the door tag. Look for marks under the front end where idiots have hooked chains to it and yanked the strut supports out of whack. Every fault you see take note of.

Wheel wells, run finger up behind wheel well lip. Bulges mean bondo in many cases, and mean extra thick undercoating in others. Most california cars will NOT have undercoating in the wheel wells. Be cautious.

Bubbles in the paint :) That means rust. When the guy say's "I don't recall or I don't know", that means there is bondo or something else that can bite his asking price.

The window rubber cracks and leaks, look up under dash for rust. Look under carpet for a poor repair of the holey pans etc...

Cover your butt. For $7800 that damn car needs be almost Perfect. The 63 Falcon Futura is NOT a rare car by any manufacturers standards. So don't let this guy think he's got the only Twinkies box left on the planet.

Not about the too few doors....

This is why you don't have enough doors on your target Falcon. :)

And as for the 36 strings... Start with Fender DG24, then go to Yamaha F35 then Yamaha F24 then Fender CSB 11001139 (Tim Armtrong), then Westfield D200, then a Yamaha FG 400A, finally a Gibson mother of pearl copy cat from about 1974 (recently stolen:() And now you know why 36 is better than 6... :) :) :) God I love Guitars :) My friends call me Guitarded.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
After going over everything let us know what you find and we'll offer better opinions after that.

The above 61 Falcon 4 door Deluxe sedan is the absolute best of it's class in the entire known universe :) and I can't get more than $5K for it on a good day cause it has too many doors... If they're not selling then the market is YOU, so your demands are sure to be easily filled.

·
Registered
340 Posts
FE pretty much hit the nail on the head.

$7800 is WAY too much for anything less than a concours car. If you're seriously considering spending that much money you had better make sure the thing is friggin perfect.

As to your question about tail lights and moldings, well, some stuff is the same, some stuff is not. Tail lights definitely are not the same on a 62.

Last year I went and looked at 60 Falcon I found on Craigslist. It looked freakin great in the pictures, except the drivers side wasn't shown. The guy wanted 3500. So I show up and start looking at it. The first thing I noticed was body damage on the driver side. The second thing I noticed were the bubbles under the paint on the passenger quarter. Then I saw the gaping hole in the trans tunnel, missing/broken interior parts, and the list went on and on. I offered 500. The guy said no way. 4 months later he called asking if I was still willing to pay 500 for it. Make your offer and stick to it. You'll get it evetually, or someone stupider will fork over the dough. Cars just aren't selling right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was owned by a Hollywood Disney guy and always garaged. But this guy has owned it for 2years and always garaged it as well. Here are some pics. Thanks for your advice guys. Most that arnt nearly in this condition are $2500-$3500 on ca Craigslist.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We tentatively agreed on $6500' but if it checks out I was going to try to drop to 6k. Not a stock color? The interior matches. Photos real well, looks clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Looks like it could be a stock color six (altho i am no falcon connoisseur) , he just wanted to know WHO painted it last...

Plus he still thinks it got shorted at the factory door department... ;)

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
OK she looks decent. I wonder who painted it recently?

$7800 is crank money. FAR FAR too much for ANY run of the mill Futura INLINE 6 car. The V8 4 speed cars can't even get $7800 bucks... Condition be darned...
FE, your full of STUFF....I just sold a 63 Sprint, for $20,000....But your right, 7800 for a 6cly car, better be DANG nice.....and FYI....I wouldn't sell my 64 Sprint for 20K....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha I get it he loves them 4 doors! Not much I can do about that, I'll tell him he need to charge me less cuz they forgot them at the factory. And crank money? That a drug reference! Thanks for all your guys help, going to be a little more educated tomorrow when I see it. Driving 3.5 hrs to look at it so need to pull the trigger if it checks out, gas is expensive here in Ca!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts