Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother and I put our C-4's together yesterday. Got to get more selective parts, had to go begging for selective washers to set end play. After years of collecting all the thick ones. we installed the roller thrusts thru the geartrain and now need thin ones. I have both of the thinnest ones in mine. He has a 2 & a 3 in his. Replaced the direct clutches in his and did a lot of pressure plate and snap ring swapping to get correct clearance.
I had machined all the parts to put 4 roller thrusts in the tranny. Cleaned all the parts and lubricted the bearings when a buddy showed up who owns a tranny shop. I showed him how it all went together. With the planetarys all together on the bench he gave the sun gear shell a spin and it sat there and spun for 20-30 seconds. AWESOME definitly some friction going away there.
After the discussions about direct clutch clearnaces I decided to tighten up both trannies to about .035-.040 clearance and we will see how that works. I can live with abit of drag in 1st gear if I get more life. I put 165 passes on my car last year and I plan on more this year.
I would like to thank all the C-4 guru's on here for their help.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mario428,
Glad to hear that you got some use out of all the info found here now go out and kick some chevy butt.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won Super Pro at my local track early last summer. It took 7 rounds to win, along the way I beat 1 27 Roadster with Chevy power and " 6 " Camaro's. There's whupping Chevy ass for you!!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Way to go Mario.Going 7 rounds isn't easy no matter what you're racing.I'm glad when I'm not first round runner-up.Ha.

I just got the new Morris C4 together and it worked fine on the test drive around the block.It wasn't easy finding the correct snap rings and selectives to set the clearances but I managed.The local trans parts place told me the thin #2 thrust washer was discontinued and he couldn't order any more.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Good to see all the fordmuscle c4 info going to good use.Your .040" direct clearance will work fine.I take it you were running looser clearance before.Just wondering what you used to run.

Goodluck Mario and to you to Jim..

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greg I believe Ford specified .050-.060 in their manual and that is what I used to run on the direct. Moving 1 size up on selective took me to high .030's.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
My 2 manuals say .025-.050" clutch pack clearance for both packs. I use to run .025" on both thinking that was better until I talked to Pa and found out otherwise. .050"(with 5 clutches) and .060"(with 6 clutches) still seems a little loose for my taste since it will be street driven and I don't want to tear it apart every year to "freshen" it up to maintain clutch tolerances but I won't set them up tight anymore either. I think .050" with 6 clutches gives more room for wear and a good compromise for me. PA says .010" clearance per clutch and I think .007-.008 is great compromise for durability, longevity(less freequent tear downs), & room for wear without too much drag friction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts