Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've read the long thred regarding the c-4's dos and don'ts. I have a Art Carr set-up, reverse valve body with trans break. 3000lb car running 10 teens in the summer behind a Cleveland spinning to 7200. I put about 150 passes on it and it was flaring up in high gear. Time for a rebuild, should be no problem, ya right!!!

You all know the story. A friend of a friend can rebuild it no problem. " Way Wrong Answer" Art car uses the c-5 cases and pumps. The "friend" was not familiar with this set-up and tried to stick a c-4 pump on because of what he called clearance issues. He also said he had to replace the reverse high clutch drum. After the rebuild and three passes I found where the clearance issues came from. This is a full roller trans and he didn't set the roller bearing behind the planetary correctly. Took out the bearing and planetary after 3 passes, he claims I was making to much power for the 3 gear planetary which is why it failed. I let him go through it again after I bought the 6 gear planetary. This was very stupid of me. While shifting on jack stands, I couldn't feel 1-2 shift at all. He claims it's because of the stall. I new this was not going to be good at the track, but had to run it to make sure.

I put about 15 passes on it and had to take it out. No solid shifts, 60' times down, to many revs in third. My Coan trans is in the car now with the Art Car needing to be gone through correctly. The "friend " is no longer a friend. I pulled the trans apart my self. I figure if I'm going to be paying for an education, I should be the one who learns. The reverse high clutch only has 4 discs, it originally had 6 in the drum from Art Car. I won't be able to check what the clearance is until I get my bent feeler gauges. The clutches look ok and don't smell burnt. The clutches in the forward drum smell burnt, have a paste on them, clearance is .060 for 5 disks. Is this to much? I'd sure appreciate if one of the c-4 guru's could step in at this point and guide me. I don't really understand the severo mods that can be done to help eliminate slipping, or is this just a correct clutch set-up and band adjust. Please Help!!!!!!! Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
133 Posts
First off the C5 pump is just about the same as the C4. Not enough of a difference to make any difference in how it works.
As far as the reverse /high drum where is the original ? Not much in one to go bad besides the clutches. Put it back together with 6 clutches and set the clearance to 30-40 thou and call it good.
The 6 pinion planetary should be good as is but make sure the bushings in the sun gear shell are good and arent slipping forward or back. Ive seen them slip in the shell and let the sun gear droop and take out planetaries and the shell.

.060" is too much clearance for 5 clutches. Clutches are cheap. Clean it all up, set the clearances at 5-6 thou per clutch and put it back together. Are you still using rollers? You'll want minimal clearance for and aft . i shoot for 10-15 thou with a full roller .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Thanks, for the reply, Yes I still have the original rev/high drum.which looks good to me other than needing new clutches. I'm pretty sure the hard parts that failed where due to incorrect assembly. I run a trans temp gauge and I'm very careful to keep the trans as cool as possible for each round. When I make the turn around I'm at 150 degrees. The 3 passes that tore up the planetary where at 195 degrees. Since the new planetary went in I put 15 passes on it, all of the hard parts look good. I just can't feel any of the shifts and it feels like it's slipping in all of the gears.

I did check the band adjustments before tearing down, The low/reverse band was about 2 turns out. I'm thinking this might be to loose. Could this along with the clearance issues in the forward clutch cause the problems I'm experiencing. Thanks,

Phil

·
Registered
133 Posts
The factory book asks for 3 turns out on the reverse band. Ive run them as tight as 1 1/2 out and as far as 3 and havent seen much of a difference. I run 2 1/4 right now.

195 isnt squat for transmssion temperature.

Whats stall converter are you running. with anything over 4000 stall I dont feel much for shifts in any car ive ever had.

438 inch Dart block Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 950 HP carb, external wet sump oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 315/60/15 MT's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chipmechanic on 6/11/06 7:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stall is 5500. I have used the same conveter in my coan set up and it bangs 1-2 2-3 like it's being hit in the rear end by a mack truck. As far as the temp. I new that 195 wasn't to hot, it was just 40-50 degrees hotter than the trans ever ran. The trans went back to 150 when I made the 15 passes and all the hard parts stayed together.

The fliud in my coan trans never changes color or even has the slightest burnt smell even up a 100 passes. The fluid in the Art Car was badly discolored, and had a bad burnt smell just after 15 passes. This was really bad in the forward clutch that had to much clearance. I guess having two separate trans set-ups and expecting them to work the same just isn't going to happen. However, I also know the Art Car was still not built right this last time. So could the forward clutch having that much clearance give me all of the problems I'm having?

The only other area I think there could be a problem is in the servo's, and I don't know what to look for in either of the servo's circuits. Possibility of a band slipping? Thanks again I'm learing.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts