Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. The C-4 in my 64 Gal 500 XL won't go into reverse. At first I could get it to go in if I revved the engine a bit. Now, nothing. Any ideas on how I can fix this without spending an arm and a leg at a tranny shop?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
you have 3 speeds forward ? No high range (3rd) burnt clutchs . could also be rear band , you did check the fluid level

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should qualify this. My dad had been putting the wrong type fluid in it. I'm not sure how long he ran it like that. I've had problems with it from the get go. Fluid level are good though.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I should qualify this. My dad had been putting the wrong type fluid in it. I'm not sure how long he ran it like that. I've had problems with it from the get go. Fluid level are good though.
problems from the start . looks as a rebuild is in order

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
What type of fluid was he using? Had the trans been gone thru before? I know that my tranny builder says after they have been rebuilt, they no longer need the type F and will survive fine with Dextron.... Just tossing that out there.... Sounds like a broken band or severely out of adjustment, but maybe smoked by now...

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
milkyway - please answer the questions asked so we can get a better handle on the situ.
It may be a simple fix, but not enough clues to be sure yet. To the previous questions I'll add 1 more similar one - Does it do everything perfectly except reverse? If not - what else?

David

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. I think he was putting Mercon in.
2. Everything works in the forward gears. But reverse is inop.
3. Not sure if it is the tranny has been rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I posted another thread about tranny fluids, and if a mod wants to move it delete sticky whatever they may. But if it still works in the three forward gears, might try a filter change and fluid change paying attention to the aformentioned thread and fluid compatibilities. But then you can tell if the reverse band has broken, (pieces maybe in bottom of pan)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Those older transmissions couldn't care less about what fluids are installed.
I have used, TypeF, Dexron and just about whatever there is and never had any problems.
Newer vehicles is an entirely different subject.

One way of knowing if the rear band is broken.

Select Low gear and drive about 20mph then back off the throttle.

If the transmission freewheels the band is the culprit.

If there is gear reduction that means the band is ok.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
One way of knowing if the rear band is broken.

Select Low gear and drive about 20mph then back off the throttle.

If the transmission freewheels the band is the culprit.

If there is gear reduction that means the band is ok.
:tup:

Great to know this....

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
+1. You're looking for engine braking in manual 1st gear, where the low/reverse band will be applied. This is a simple but important test as it can rule-out a handful of other issues. If you do get engine braking in manual low, then the next two easy checks are:

1. to verify your shift linkage is adjusted properly by the service manual procedure, and
  2. to loosen and properly re-torque your valve body bolts to spec, as too tight or too loose will cause VB operation issues.

Report back on the low-gear test and we can go from there.

David

PS: because it was lazy into REV before, signs are pointing towards low pressure in reverse. 1st gear test first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts