Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, new to the board, i own a small rod shop in detroit area, i am working on a customer car it is a 74 torino, we installed a 351C and keep the original c-4 trans, and 3000 stall

shortly after getting car running the trans started to slip, putting this with age and mileage we had on trans and additinal torque from the clevealnd we thought a rebuild was in order

i do not know much about transmissions so sent it out to local build shop and wanted some better bands and shift kit installed,

upon getting it back it worked for about 1/2 hr then started to slip again, builder accused me of nuetral slaming car and told me he would look at it again after swear that i only drove car 2 miles...

he tore it apart and found clutches shot again, rebuilt again and we reinstalled it, we did not drive car and called him to come over for first drive, the car slipped badly again as soon as he put it in drive, reverse always worked good..

so now he takes it back to his shop for further inspection, he now says he finds the clutch drums are burnt badly and ordered parts, he is also upgrading the servo

question is

1. would he have not seen the drum after looking at trans twice,

2. there is an R servo in it, what could he be upgrading to, thought R was about the best,

3. i feel this is not the problem and possibly something else, anyone with any suggestions

·
Registered
659 Posts
The builder has no clue. Low pressure, Bad valve body, bad pump maybe.
He is guessing..... .. The r is a GREAT servo.
I am afraid he does not know what he is doing.
Call the Auto clinic 333-0800 Ask for Terry he will shoot straight with you. If he does not want to do it can tell you who can and get it right. The shop is Woodward and south boulavard

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced rotating assembley,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Pro tree Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Forthman on 4/2/06 1:49am ]</font>

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pretty simple transmssion . not sure how he could screw it up that bad unless he just isnt paying any attention to normal transmission assembly P's and Q's. The band adjustments have to be right but you'd pretty much have to be a total simpleton to not get those correct. Maybe he lft out some seals or installed them wrong. Governor rings lift out or installed incorrectly would cause low line pressure. Theres a number of things that could go wrong with sloppy assembly but they arent anything that a normal transmssion shop wouldnt catch. Its definitely NOT the R servo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chipmechanic on 4/4/06 3:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well guy stillhas car, my customer has gone over there 2 times and chewed some a$$, each time this guy is an arrogant a$$,

finally my customer said " we are pulling the car see ya in court "

trans guy immediatly calls me, appologizing profusly, saying he jsut can't figure out waht is going on and could he please have alittle more time, he has had trans inand out several times, he now feels it is the valve body, which i said at the very begining of this

so now he has till tommarrow, he is sending the valve body out for testing..thing is this guy has been around for ever and knows a lot abut trans, i have built several through him, he was always an a$$, but did good work

what to do...

glenn z
www.mtrperformance.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well not sure what now, builder installed new valve body, not the problem, a few new modualtors, and new servo, he is concerned on how it shifts softly...

he supposibly knows what he is doing, but he is completely stumped,

now thinking convertor ( but it goes in reverse and foward so the convertor is probably good...

what next ??

glenn z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.