Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what brand stall to get???

What do you guys recommend?????

P/A,Art Carr,Coan?????

I know P/A uses a company out of California does anyone know who it is????

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: billy on 5/6/02 10:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike

Is this the brand you recommend or is the brand P/A uses???

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttt

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more bump

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Continental has a very good reputation here in the So Cal area.I've had good luck with TCI converters but others may not agree. Whoever you use give them a call and be honest with your set-up and hope they get the stall right the first time.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have TCI's Street Fighter 10" converter in my Fairlane, and it is great. I would say go with them, but I'm sure there are a few people who are more knowledgable and have had experience with more brands than I have.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If it will be a street/strip car, then an off the shelf convertor like TCI would work ok. But if its something that is going to be raced, a custom convertor is the only way to get the most out of your combo.

I run a Coan in my racecar. It has never failed me, and I have had it for almost 10 years now.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'm running a TCI Breakaway and I'm very happy with the performance.

As some have said, if you're going to be spending significant time at the strip, a custom unit may be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not looking for an off the shelf convertor..., I am looking for a custom built one....

I more a less was wondering if any was better then the other...
I am looking for a 9" or 8" custom built convertor...
There are so many companies out there and there is at least a 300.00 difference in price between all the ones i have looked at....
just wondered if the 650.00 built one was as good as the 900.00....

I have mostly dealt with P/A (Performance Automatic) for my trans parts...
I know they can make convertors but they told me they dont make there convertors.., someone in California does it for them....
I was hoping someone knew who made them for P/A so I could cut out the middle man for the $$$$ savings...

Thanks for the input, all is appreciated...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You probably should have mentioned what it is going in. An 8 or 9 inch converter sounds like a pro street setup. Very high stall.

Maybe Ron1 will look in. I know he has a custom one he is happy with.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Call Kenny Ford at PTC (Performance Torque Converters) in Alabama. Excellent product. His is the #1 converter in the southeast. Go to any track in Al, Ga, Tn, and MS and you will see more of his stickers than any other.

It's a lower overhead operation and his doesn't advertise much, so you may not have heard of him.

Kenny and his brother worked for TCI building converters for about 20 years. Back when they made good stuff. TCI was bought out by Federal Mogul about 5 years ago. Kenny and his brother went into business on their on, just across the state line from where TCI converters are built in MS.

I have been to his shop and been totally impressed. Customer service is #1. How many companies would freshen a converter while you wait?

His custom 8" converters are identical to the bigger names like Hughes and Coan, but cost less due to the lower overhead and lack of advertising. I have had two of his converters. Both custom 8" units ($675) He has units all the way from $125 to $800

They have a web site, but not much to it other than a price list.

http://www.ptcrace.com/

Give them a call. Well worth it!

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 5/8/02 2:29pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I run a custom built 8 inch C4 converter build by PTC(Performance Torque Converters). I'm happy with it. The story I've been told is that some of the custom converter builders spun off TCI to start PTC when TCI went to off the shelf stuff.

It was a little bit disturbing to call and talk to them. One of the dudes was on the phone with me and yelling back and forth with another dude back in the shop about my converter spec's, LOL. They did good for me though. Some of the other people at my track are running their converters and are happy with theirs too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow, Hottarod,

Look at the time on our posts. We both posted at the exact same time about the exact same converter company.
LOL

David Cole

1 - 15 of 15 Posts