Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Older C-4 (pre-1970) that , when sitting for a while, leaves a puddle. I know that the leak is coming from the selector shaft seal.I also know that there is no drain back valve under the filter as in 1970 and beyond. The question is where is the drain back on older C-4? In the pump itself? That being said, I've heard of a valve that is installed in trans cooler line that prevents torque converter from draining back as used in Chrysler products. Any info on this and which line does it hook to? Push or return line? The new seal will probable fix leak, but doesn't address the leak back problem. Any info would be appreciated!!✌

·
Premium Member
4,465 Posts
Most likely leak is just the kickdown seal . Much simpler to do than main selector seal.
You will never stop converter drain back . There is a valve in the stator support but in later models Ford even did away with it. Common mod is to remove it anyway to assist cooler flow .
There are non-return valves that used to get fitted inline to the cooler but even if that won't stop it , converter will still drain back through the input shaft and stator support

The valve at the filter on the 70+ C4's is not a drain valve
Fix the leaks is the fix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts