Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes torque conveters for a 65 C-4? TCI and B&M only list converters for 66-69 and 70 and up.
Is there a differance between the 64-65 converters and the 66-69?
I'm looking for a 3000 rpm or so stall, if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are a bunch of places that you could try. Performance Automatics, ATI transmissions (love them), DACCO(cheap and cheap to rebuilt converters). There are a bunch more. I use ATI converters and DACCO converters. DACCO is real good about standing behind their stuff too.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Yes, they have two different bolt patterns for the C-4 trans.

The easiest way to tell them apart is by where the filler tube goes into the trans.

The small bolt pattern C-4 has the filler tube going into the trans case.

The big bolt pattern C-4 has the filler tube going into the trans pan.

So, find out what one you have first and then you can find a converter that will fit it.

I have a real nice TCI "Street Fighter" stall converter for a "pan fill" big bolt pattern C-4?

I will sell it for $175.00 plus shipping if you're interested e-mail me for more details.

I have a whole load of stuff going onto e-bay next week,let me know before then if your're interested?

Thanks DynoTom.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Tony, TCI #451400 is about a 3000 stall 10 inch converter with 24 splines and small bolt pattern which is probably what you need. All '65-69 converters have 24 splines, the later have 26.Try Summit or Jegs they should have it for a resaonable price. Just don't get a GER converter. Never heard anything good about them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply's guys.
My Mustang has the original case fill tranny, one of the goofy ones with the 1-2-3 shift in the usual second gear position, and the 2-3 shift in the usual drive position.
Jim, TCI only lists 66-69, I e-mailed them about it and they gave me Dacco's number. Do you know for sure that the 65 will be the same as the 66?
Does Dacco or ATI have a website?

Thanks again guys, Tony

·
Registered
413 Posts
You can reach ATI at:
http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/products/trans/trans.htm

The only way to get a Daaco converter is to go through a trans shop but you can try these guys, they have awesome deals on everything transmission:
http://www.bulkparts.com/

I see Dacco once a month when they pull up in the tractor trailer to take cores and deliver new converters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 3/7/02 9:13am ]</font>

·
Registered
314 Posts
On 2002-03-06 20:13, DynoTom wrote:
Yes, they have two different bolt patterns for the C-4 trans.

The easiest way to tell them apart is by where the filler tube goes into the trans.

The small bolt pattern C-4 has the filler tube going into the trans case.
The big bolt pattern C-4 has the filler tube going into the trans pan.
Thanks DynoTom.
Not quite. True on the first one. All the small bell C-4's I have seen are case fill. Incorrect on the big C-4. They were made both ways. I have a case fill large C-4 bell. Made in the late 70's. A buddy of mine also has one. For pics of one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~racrcole/_wsn/page4.html

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Tony,
I think the listing is just a mis-print as all '64-69's use the 24 spline converter.Both my cars have a '65 trans which I used a '67-'69 valve body in to get rid of the weird shift pattern yours has.The later '67-'69 units aren't as easy to find these days as I'm finding out.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
On 2002-03-06 21:50, Dave C wrote:
Not quite. True on the first one. All the small bell C-4's I have seen are case fill. Incorrect on the big C-4. They were made both ways. I have a case fill large C-4 bell. Made in the late 70's. A buddy of mine also has one. For pics of one:
http://home.earthlink.net/~racrcole/_wsn/page4.html

Later,

David Cole
[/quote]

Hum? I did'nt know that? Well that's cool cause now I do.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If you are going to run some significant horsepower and that stall it would be good to get a hardened 24 spline input shaft for it. They are cheaper than grinding up the splines in your converter when it snaps. I broke 2 24 spline shafts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try JPT (Jim's Performance Trans.) in Eaton Falls, MI. They specialize in the C4 & C6, and build an excellent converter.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Just Jim has the correct number. It's TCI #451400 Street fighter 24 spline 10 1/2" bolt circle. That's the one you want. Dacco has a good rep for decent converter at cheap prices unlike GER which has crap converters at cheap prices. For your application and mild combination, you don't need an expensive converter that is made to handle 600+HP, just a good quality middle of the road converter. JPT, TCT, & PA are of higher quality and price(just a little higher).

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have run GER converters in C4's, C6's and PG's and never had any trouble with them. And I have run JW convertors and had one to break a sprag. The key is ordering the right converter and getting the good items to begin with that aren't usually included in the "Street Fighter" style converters. If you pay less than say $300 bucks for a converter, you can bet it doesn't have half of the high strength parts like used in a NOS or high stall converter.

You have to remember, there are only a few companies that makes transmission/converter parts and pretty much all converter companies orders the same parts from the same companies and assembles them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts