Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
We all know that heat can kill our transmissions, so we add a second transmission cooler to help keep it cooler. You can also replace the transmission pan to a deeper pan. But with prices running up to $150 or more for the really nice pans, sometimes we take that money and use it elsewhere. After killing my C-4, I thought it was time to upgrade my pan. I talked to my transmission guy not really telling him what kind of pan I wanted. He came up with a C-4 4x4 transmission pan. He did not specify what year it came off of but for $40 dollars which included the filter extension and shipping from Portland to Everett, Wa. I thought it was a great alternative. As you can see in the pictures, it is deeper with a sump than the stock pan. And if I want a drain, I can remove my drain and install it on the new pan.

Figure#1 Shows depth of stock C-4 pan.

Figure#2 Here is the C-4 4x4 pan

Figure#3 This is the comparison of the depth gain using the 4x4 pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
our tranny was rebuild and had that deep pan, it's a 82 c5 4x4, we install a tci deep pan, so, i think i have an available stock 4x4 deep pan. if any one interested on it, ok,

this is a photo of our trann before it was rebuilt, and you can see de oil pan there.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's an okay alternative, but I like a really deep pan so I went with an aluminum B&M pan that holds 2 extra quarts. Not only do you get the heat dissipation from the aluminum, but it has cooling fins running along the botton and it has really helped keep my tranny running much cooler. It wasn't that cheap, but rebuilding a burnt up trans isn't either.

http://dagostinoracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13632

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's an okay alternative, but I like a really deep pan so I went with an aluminum B&M pan that holds 2 extra quarts. Not only do you get the heat dissipation from the aluminum, but it has cooling fins running along the botton and it has really helped keep my tranny running much cooler. It wasn't that cheap, but rebuilding a burnt up trans isn't either.

B&M Ford C4 Cast Aluminum Deep Pan [50281] - $140.35 : Performance Parts - Ford Mustang - Cobra - Dodge Viper - Chevy Corvette - C6 - LS1
I have a B&M pan also. It's great except that where I live you are not allowed to have less that 100mm (4") of ground clearance under any part of the car. The B&M pan puts mine about 20mm lower than legal. Also the fins are so deep that there is lot of oil left in the bottom that doesn't make it out the drain plug and you dont know about until you pull the pan and it goes everywhere.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I waterjet cut a pan spacer from .75" aluminum for my race trany. The spacer uses a stock pan/filter. If anyone is interested in a spacer, I was thinking of starting a shopping cart at my website for other items Iv come up with.
I'll post some pics if I have them!!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Good post on the Bronco pan, anything to get more fluid in a C-4.
For the higher HP folks though, the cast aluminum pans may be a better idea. Not only the extra fluid capacity but it acts like a girdle to strengthen the C-4 case. The VB does bolt across the case opening but it is not very strong or well bolted down, the heavy cast pan can help.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I bought a deep Ford Racing pan for my C4 in my 69 mustang. I understand that the filter extensions are available for the 70 and up VB but can't seem to dial in on one for the early (69) Valve bodies. Any ideas other than making one myself?
thanks........John

·
Registered
270 Posts
You forgot the Mustang II c4 pan, it's quite a bit deeper than the standard pan, and takes a special filter, I can get pics of one and measurements if you wish.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
A pan from a C5 is 3/4 inch deeper and holds an extra quart of oil.
The filter kit for the Bronco will extend the pick-up to the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts