Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i'm on my third tailshaft seal and i can't get it to hold. Slip yoke is smooth. fluid level seems to be fine.

I can throw a new seal in, putt around in the drive way,putt around the pits. its fine. After i come back from a pass there will be a circular spray pattern in the trans tunnel.

Some ideas would be greatly appreciated. - Joe.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Does the yolk have a hole on back side?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Bad brand of seal?

Worn yoke or tailshaft bushing?

Incorrectly installed tailhousing?

Bent tailshaft due to some racing abuse?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Drain back hole plugged, worn cocked bushing, seal in bassackwards.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for all the replys. I'll have the drive shaft checked on monday. should the bushing be able to move relatively freely? mine does, i wonder if its walking back under high rpm...

i'll check the yoke for holes.

i'll pop the driveshaft out and look this morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
thanks for all the replys. I'll have the drive shaft checked on monday. should the bushing be able to move relatively freely? mine doe's, i wonder if its walking back under high rpm...

Thanks
The yoke should be able to slide in and out somewhat freely, but should not have a perceivable up and down (or side to side) movement. If so the bushing or yoke is worn.

·
Registered
861 Posts
thanks for all the replys. I'll have the drive shaft checked on monday. should the bushing be able to move relatively freely? mine does, i wonder if its walking back under high rpm...

i'll check the yoke for holes.

Thanks
The bushing moves?:confused:

The bushing must not move, period. If it does the return hole is being cut off.
Get a different housing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't know much about the technical stuff with a c/4 , is the return hole at the very end of the housing by the seal?

when i took the seal out i saw three rectangular shaped holes in the end of the housing. there was a thin metal bushing protruding 1/4" or so out towards the seal.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i don't know much about the technical stuff with a c/4 , is the return hole at the very end of the housing by the seal?

when i took the seal out i saw three rectangular shaped holes in the end of the housing. there was a thin metal bushing protruding 1/4" or so out towards the seal.
But does the bushing move?

It shouldn't stick out that far, by the sound of that the return holes are being cut off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes it will move forward, when i first got this trans the bushing stuck out so far it would interfere with the seal. so i tapped it in, sticks out a 1/4 inch now, i could probably get the bushing even with the face of the holes...

·
Registered
861 Posts
yes it will move forward, when i first got this trans the bushing stuck out so far it would interfere with the seal. so i tapped it in, sticks out a 1/4 inch now, i could probably get the bushing even with the face of the holes...
Pull the housing and install a new bushing or different housing.

You need a BFH to install the bushing, not a tack hammer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i guess something is wrong then because i used a small hammer and small punch and it drove toward the motor easily. i'll pull it all off the car then. Thanks. -joe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i'm back on track now, my buddy sent me over to his buddy who has a trans shop. i brought my current extension housing and watched him wail a new bushing and seal in. 10 bucks later i was on my way. i'll lube the heck out of this one. thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts