Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any of you know of a web site or person that can help me do race mods to a c-6 for bracket raceing like whut the c-4 has

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
What type of info are you chasing? I have built up a few c6's in 460 powered street/strip cars and may be able to help.

While we're on the subject i'm trying to chase up some info on rollerizing a c6 if anyone has done the conversion themselves and what bearings are used ,and also wondering if anyone has used the billet servo's..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any thing will help. like how to get 5 cluches in the reverse-high cluch drum. rooler barings at #9 thrust washer . any how to's will help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Street Rodder Feb 2002 issue has an article about C-6 transmissions, what to look for, parts to use, etc. Sort of a followup to their series of articles about the Ford FE.

You might find the article helpful, and there's 'sources' listed at the end I believe. Most detailed and realistic look at C-6's I've seen in print in a long time...discusses using E4OD parts, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Ok then to start with the 5 clutch top gear your best start point is to use a factory hub with 4 clutches.These have the circlip groove down from the top edge at 1.025".With this drum you use 5 clutches @.078" + 5 [email protected]".With this setup i have used the original .340" pressure plate and machined it down to a total thickness of .260" then machined a step for the snap ring at approx .175"-.185" depending on the final clearance of .025"-.035".
The best way to describe to machine the p/plate is to look at the bevelled plate from the forward clutch hub that goes against the piston and your plate should look similar but with a thicker edge.You can also use one of these fwd plates as the top p/plate but you will have to pack up the clutch clearance with a thicker snapring or oversize steels as the step on this plate is only .125".I prefer to machine my own plates as it leaves them a little thicker for added strength, though it prob doesn't matter as some of the aftermarket kits use a pressure plate listed at .125"-.128".
There are other methods using .062" clutches and .060"steels or combinations of .060"steels and .078" clutches that can fit 5 clutches into the original 3 clutch hubs.There is an 'ALTO'brand kit that you can use without machining and i have the part no. if you need it. I suppose this is getting pretty confusing by now but if you know what top gear hub you have we can come up with a solution.
I have used a mod in the past for the number 9 thrust that puts an oil feed direct to the thrust washer .I am currently working on my own roller c6 and for the number 9 thrust i'm pretty sure i will be able to use the same roller bearings that i use for c4's.The bearing is from a turbo 350 originally.
A few other things that you will be needing is make sure that you have a 5 clutch forward hub.The diaphram spring disc against the fwd piston there are 2 thicknesses.(.078"+.094")I like to use the thicker one.
Also a 5 clutch low/reverse clutch pack too.(Some only have 4 in low/reverse but you can go to 5 or even 6 in some cases)
Use a flex intermediate band with a kevlar lining.For the servo i prefer the 'L' or 'D'.The 'D' is an alloy piston with o'rings so is reusable.The "R" is the factory high performance one but i haven't tried that one ,though most sources say this is the go.
For the valve body i like the transgo 67-2 kits that keep the auto shifts in drive.Also if you can get a pan from a bronco that will give you extra oil capacity.There are 3 different depth pans that i have come across but be sure that you get the correct filter to match whatever pan you're using.
That's all i can think of for now.Any questions just ask and i'll help if i can.Who knows,the c6 post might become as popular as some of the c4 ones...

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Also MAC i have some c6 info i could scan and email if you like.
Rainy ,any chance of getting a copy of that c6 story.We dont get all the U.S mags here and when we do they are about 2 months out of date.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi greg
can you send more info on c-6 mods. for the # 9 bearing i went out and got one from a e4od. race & bearing.
the old race is 1.092to 1.094 and the new race is at 1.013 . the new bearing is 0.141. also the part # are for the race #a36664e and the bearing is #e6d2-76178a
i hope this helps. my high cluch drum has 4 in it right now

thank you for all youre help

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
Anyone else have any C6 info they'd like to share? Anything at all,maybe problems you've had that might save someone else some dramas..Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts