Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
No... Bell housing bolt pattern is different...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
OK... Stay with me here.

In 1966, LINC went to the LINC specific C6 behind the 462. The 462 and 460 (429) have a dual mounting pattern due to unique chassis/accessory clearances just to accommodate LINC during the transition (from HX (LX) to C6).

The 61/65 HX bell will fit the 460 block. I am not 100% sure the FX/MX main case bolt pattern will go against this bell. My notes are at my other residence in MD. I can research this further TUE.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
OK... Stay with me here.

In 1966, LINC went to the LINC specific C6 behind the 462. The 462 and 460 (429) have a dual mounting pattern due to unique chassis/accessory clearances just to accommodate LINC during the transition (from HX (LX) to C6).

The 61/65 HX bell will fit the 460 block. I am not 100% sure the FX/MX main case bolt pattern will go against this bell. My notes are at my other residence in MD. I can research this further TUE.
klutz the 462 is a MEL. . right ?

430 is a MEL , and those had the same bell pattern as the FE if IRC

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
klutz the 462 is a MEL. . right ?
Yes, in a sense.

430 is a MEL , and those had the same bell pattern as the FE if IRC
The 58/60 MEL (383-410-430) had the same pattern as the FE. In 1961, the engine design was changed considerably and the bell pattern was modified to allow the engine trans (430-HX) combination to fit within the new chassis design confines. In all actuality, 61/ 430 should be considered (IMO) as a LINC specific engine as MERC was now on a FORD platform (FORD power) and EDSEL was gone (1958 last MEL engine install).

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
OK... Stay with me here.
Try to always ....
Dual pattern? Are you talking about the trans or the engines? I have never seen a dual pattern engine....
If thats the case it would be the same as a needle in a haystack I am assuming. (trying to find a one year only bell with a certain engine)

AND it would almost be easier to build your own bell than look high and low providing you can find the bell and it will bolt to said main case....

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Dual pattern? Are you talking about the trans or the engines? I have never seen a dual pattern engine....
Look at the back of a 385 @ the top. I will post a photo TUE as I am away from the house for the weekend. FORD had to do it as LINC had a running change from the 462 to the 460 in 1968. Otherwise FORD would have had to do a chassis redesign... $$$.

The bell that he needs is from a 66/68 LINC 462 C6. The 1966 462 kept the earlier modified FE pattern (61/65) in addition to the new LINC specific C6 pattern, which again was slightly different from the corporate 385 bell pattern.

:confused: Simple isn't it?

Did that make any sense? Regardless, they are fairly easy to find (either).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys Iam not sure what year the com is but the motor is a 77 Lincoln 460

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The bell that he needs is from a 66/68 LINC 462 C6. The 1966 462 kept the earlier modified FE pattern (61/65) in addition to the new LINC specific C6 pattern, which again was slightly different from the corporate 385 bell pattern.
:confused:

I've done got myself confused (not all that difficult).

The bell needed is the 62/65 430 HX bell. This bell will bolt-up to either the 462 and/or later 460.

!!! The C6 had a one piece bell and main case !!!

Friggin' MOE-RON... :frown:

I hope I made some sense here.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Thanks for the info guys Iam not sure what year the com is but the motor is a 77 Lincoln 460
I surely hope the COM you are referring to is an FX/MX and not a C6. What year are we working with?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Try to always ....

If thats the case it would be the same as a needle in a haystack I am assuming. (trying to find a one year only bell with a certain engine)

AND it would almost be easier to build your own bell than look high and low providing you can find the bell and it will bolt to said main case....
the dual pattern is just one bolt relocated . done to clear the a/c , heater box iirc . all 385 blocks had the extra pattern , just never drilled/tap for later years

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Will a com trans that is already bolted to a 390 bolt to a 460? Thanks guys in advance..
Make life easy on yourself and either use the COM/390 combo or find yourself a C6 for that 460. Good luck as it looks like you're gonna need it!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Look at the back of a 385 @ the top. I will post a photo TUE as I am away from the house for the weekend. FORD had to do it as LINC had a running change from the 462 to the 460 in 1968. Otherwise FORD would have had to do a chassis redesign... $$$.
First Photo 460-

Second Photo 462-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts