Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks - Can somebody give me exact Specification of my Carburetor? It´s for a 62 Ford Galaxie Conv. with Automatic Tranny. Got the Fe 390 in it.

I need correct Jet Sizes for Primary and Secondary and the Gap between Choke Plate and Airhorn. Somebody said 3 mm would be fine..!??

Is there a trick to adjust the Cold Idle Screw on the Cam? Not to loose or to strong?

I know it has to touch the V mark on the Cam. But with which kind of Pressure?

Noticed that the Prices for Autolite Carbs were raised extremely...Agree?

Oliver

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
3 mm = almost completely closed seems about right. There are about 5 steps to getting the choke right and you have to follow them in the correct order. Setting the fast idle is about the last one. Set the carburetor up on your table using four bolts and nuts. Try duplicating cold start conditions - close the choke plate by holding the throttle open, then turn the screw till it touches. When you let go of the throttle, the screw should hold the step on the cam and keep the choke plate closed.

Get out a hair dryer and heat up the back of the choke. The cam should move off the screw, opening the choke plate. This I never tried, myself, as it is hot enough in Texas I don't have to worry about the choke too much. If you live someplace cold, like Germany...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Folks for quick replies. By the way the 3 mm (German Measurement) should fit. Which Size got the Screw on the Fast Idle Cam Lever to adjust? And what is the Wrench Size - especially name of the Tool in English?

How tighten or loosen should the Cold Idle Screw been set on the Cam?
Or just tighten at warmin up the Machine to de- or increase the RPM?

Good Source for Vaccuum Gauge Connectors - Plastic kind? Or Vaccuum Hoses? Want to renew...

Olli

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Pride63 - but I do have a ShopManual - just to learn from Experience. Maybe some got the same SetUp...

How about the Gap between Choke Flap and Airhorn? What would the Prof align?

Same for the Cold Idle Screw on the Gradual Cam - no steps there...

Any experience here with NGK WR5 or the luxury NGK WR5IX ??

Olli

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Choke flap to Air horn is a TOUCH and Feel application.

When cold, loosen choke cap screws. Open throttle with one hand, twist cap until choke flap just touches fully closed, then tighten cap screws. this should give you about 1/4" to 7/16" choke opening when the engine is started and running at fast Idle, and Fast Idle should be around 1300 Rpm. + - 500 rpm. Depending on what your cam wants.

FE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts