Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my name is Joe and im having a problem with a 65 fairlane with a 351w/C4. I have a flare from 2-3 shifts after I installed a Hughes 3k converter. It wasn't present before the install:/

My first test drive the linkage was off a little and I didn't have first but the 2-3 shift was good. I re adjusted the linkage and got first gear but then developed a flare for 2-3. I then proceeded to make multiple adjustments to the shifter linkage with no change Fluid level is spot on. Vacuume hose is connected and all is proper.

The parts I replaced besides the TC was the pan for a deep unit with filter extension. Can someone please help point me in the right direction, I have been building cars for the better part of the last two decades but I'm a little stumped on this one.

Thanks for any input

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw the Trans has a shift kit in it but beyond that I don't know anything more about it besides that it was originally a mustang 2 Trans with the small bell house and the 141 flex plate

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
If you only touched the TC, pan, filter and filter extension, they should have no impact on the 2-3 shift. Any chance it's sucking air in the extension above the filter? Air in the fluid will cause all kinds of weird issues. Did you reinstall the filter with a calibrated torque wrench? Improperly torqued bolts can slightly warp the valve body and cause issues as well.

David

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is a possibilty.

A higher stall convertor will make the engine respond better.

There could have been a slight flare with the old convertor but not noticed until the upgrade.

Try adjusting the intermediate band.

Plus, a Mustang 2 transmission may not be able to handle a 351.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Figured it out, I put the spring and plunger under the filter tab in backwards. Doooo!!

I pulled the pan flipped it to we're the plugged cup faces upwards and the spring under the tab and she is back shifting proper again. Now if only I can make this beast of a motor to make more then 5-7in of Vacuume so that the Trans doesn't down shift hard.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Figured it out, I put the spring and plunger under the filter tab in backwards. Doooo!!

I pulled the pan flipped it to we're the plugged cup faces upwards and the spring under the tab and she is back shifting proper again. Now if only I can make this beast of a motor to make more then 5-7in of Vacuume so that the Trans doesn't down shift hard.

OOPS. You are lucky you didn't smoke it.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts

What is done to the valve body? There are ways to soften the shifts depending whats been done . You might have 5-7 in vacuum but vacuum goes up under cruise conditions at light throttle so the vacuum may not be the cause of the hard shifts. A pressure gauge would tell the story

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
OOPS. You are lucky you didn't smoke it.
+1. I did not suggest that as a possible issue, as ones I've had with switched spring and plunger had no drive capability at all. Something for me to keep in-mind for future diagnostics. Thanks for reporting that Joe.

David

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you only touched the TC, pan, filter and filter extension, they should have no impact on the 2-3 shift. Any chance it's sucking air in the extension above the filter? Air in the fluid will cause all kinds of weird issues. Did you reinstall the filter with a calibrated torque wrench? Improperly torqued bolts can slightly warp the valve body and cause issues as well.

David
He said he added a shift kit as well in his second post. That would certainly affect the shifts. I've heard the B & M kits shift particularly hard.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Ah, I took it the trans came with it when he got it, and had no issues. Let's see if he replies with solid info...

David

·
Registered
861 Posts
He said he added a shift kit as well in his second post. That would certainly affect the shifts. I've heard the B & M kits shift particularly hard.

From what I gathered the shift kit was already in, he just replaced the filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts