Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a build on the trans and am looking for someone that has a rev. manual 67-69 VB , or has done the conversion and can get me some pictures . I'm getting real limited on funds and am having trouble finding a latter C4 around here anymore.(looks like someone went around and grabbed them all up recently).
Also some info on bands and clutches to use.

Car info:
81 rx7 (appx. 2700lbs)
sbf 302 (appx. 475-500hp)
3.99 gears.
Thanks
Brien

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The conversion that is best is to buy a reverse pattern manual valve from an aftermarket source. Modifying your existing valve is not a good idea for a reverse pattern setup. You can make it manual shift but it is very hard to reverse the pattern.
When building a C4 to put behind a 500HP 302 is no time to be running low on funds - managing HP is expensive and if you get cheep here you won't have a tranny for long.
Paul
Paul

By the way; they are expensive

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understandable on the reverse conversion. What about making it full manual with no engine braking in 1st.? Just can't afford the rebuild and 200-250.00 for the valve body also right now.
I'm looking at going w/ red clutches, but real curious on front band options.
I've read pro's and con's about flex and ridged. Thinking of going Hughes ridged. Looking at squeezing 6 and 5 for the clutch packs.
I changed it to a 26/24 spline input at one time, but got rid of the c5 case before I caught myself.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
For trannys up to 400 HP I use the stock stuff. There is no need for the more expensive Hi-perf parts when the Borg Warner stock parts last so long. The rigid band has to "wear in" to get full contact between the drum and the band friction surface. Unless this is a street only car you are better off to use the flex band.
I have used the rigid band on race only trannys but only when the HP was above 600. I sand them to fit the drums before i do the finish assembly. Its too much work for the average hot rod tranny. The flex band doesn't break if you get the good welded band instead of the ones that are just spot-welded in three or four places.
If you want (need) to convert your valve body to manual and you are on a budget then get the TransGo -3 shift kit. it will convert your valve body to a full manual but with a normal pattern. It is also reversable (you can un-do it) if you don't like have to shift it all the time.
Paul

·
Registered
501 Posts
On 2007-01-01 17:09, gregaust wrote:
Also if that is a 24 spline c4 i would be real nervous putting that power through it.
Why? I run low 10's with a 24 spline trans. Went 6.10 in the 1/8 with a 1.32 60 foot time on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Most of the 24 x 24 spline shafts are soft - they twist and they are smaller in diameter so they don't take as much torque as the 24 x 26 shafts. The 24 x 26 shafts can be found in the hardened steel and are stronger even than the standard larger shaft. I have never seen a 24 x 24 shaft that was hardened. Iwould say that Econodrag is real lucky or has been to this point.
Paul

·
Registered
501 Posts
Lucky?? Maybe, but I have been using the same trans for 4 years with just refreshings using A-1 trans kits. Makes 300-500 passes between rebuilds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts