Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many C4 topics lately maybe someone will make a C4 forum. Ha.

Is there a way to 'program' the trans to shift at a certain RPM ,say 6000,every time 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Sure would make it easier to race and be consistent.Just put it in drive and leave on the last yellow.That's my C4 question.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 2/25/02 2:34am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
That'd be about as good an answer as possible.
Air shifter hooked to your 2-3 step, (or however you wanted), and just nail 'er and go.
I've never seen anyone use an air shifter on anything other than a powerglide, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
Are you telling us that you don't trust yourself to 'nail it' at the exact same rpm every time?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An air shifter wasn't what I was thinking.I thought maybe the govenor could be adjusted like on a Turbo 350.
Actually I can "nail it" or shift at the same time time each run and get some consistent times even for an old guy. I'm not running any electronics, only foot brakin' it.I kept missing shifts the last couple times out and found that the manual valve in the valve body was hanging up causing the missed shifts and false neutrals. I replaced the detent plunger and smoothed up the bore where the valve goes and it seems to work better now.I'll find out next weekend.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
the governor shift points can be altered, but they're a major PITA, compared to a turbo 350. The governor on a 350 is easily accesible whereas the c4 is inside the tailhousing. It can be done,however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts