Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a case fill 157t bell fit on a pan fill 164t bell transmission? The pan fill looks to be mounting the bell from the trans case while the case fill trans mounts the bell from the pump. Is this correct? Is it possible without fitment problems?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would have said:

No.
Correct.
No.
^This is the correct info. I tried doing just such a swap and ended in total disappointment. The transmission guts between the 2 however will swap over without any problem.

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
Ha. OK, so some have done it with no issues and others not (?). Now we need to know from xdclevo and torkair what specific issues they had.

David

·
Registered
10,494 Posts
ok will the 157t bolt to the case or to the pump?
The 157T case-fill bell would bolt to the pump on the pan-fill trans, just as it would on a case-fill trans. Yes, it will look fugly with the pan-case flange sticking out like Queen Elizabeth's collar. ;) Be use to use the correct length bolts for a case-fill so you don't strip 'em.

David

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I actually tried the reverse, bolt the 164 tooth bell to a case intended for a 157 tooth bell, it did not work out at all.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As long as you use the 157t flex plate with the correct converter for 157t bell that you are using, it will work fine.
As PSIG stated, you will need to use the correct bolts. The pan fill pump bolts are shorter than case fill pump bolts. You need to use case fill bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.