Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bottom drivers side bellhousing broke while torquing it down. The trans appears flat. Any thoughts on what could cause it? I may get the car running before replacing. Many issues have happened. All tranny/ flexplate/starter related

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was tough lining it up, it was maybe 1/16 of an inch from the block becaus it keep leaning back some, but essentially no. I do have mid motorplates. BeforeI buy a new bell Ill replace the dowels....I do you think maybe a dowel caught just a little? I'm wondering if a reweld is cost effective? I'm tired of pulling everything in and out

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg, another question. All of the problems i have had come from this tranny. 1st a spacing issue with the converter, then a pawl, next starter/fp issues. Do you think I could have a warped main body or just bad luck with it?

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
Can't say I've seend a warped main case .
You could reweld the bell ok , try it mounted up on it's own first before mounting trans
Are the dowels longer to allow for the extra midplate width ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I didn't realize they sold longer ones. It does appear the dowel caught, better lighting now and I see a very small gap there, but any gap would do. Do you recommend welding while attached to an engine block? Seems it would be flatter.

·
Premium Member
4,308 Posts
Bolted to a block would keep it located right as you weld if you can. Even a steel block plate may help keep aligned as you weld

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, looks like it is. I will make my own, and chamfer a taper on the ends. I have a spare block to use.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts