Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bellhousing on my C4 transmission has a few old age / stress cracks. They are only visible from inside and are not deep. However, I would like a second opinion regarding whether I should replace it before the cracks get worse. I have added pictures below. On one hand, a brand new one is about $230, which is not cheap. These cracks are not new and there is a chance they won't grow anytime soon. On the other hand, if it breaks while I am driving, there is the potential for costly damage. Plus, now is a convenient time to replace it, since I already have the engine out of the car. Opinions?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I wouldn't re install that one the cracks are starting to extend to the complete inside of the bell. It is just a matter of time before it brakes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but are you sure that's a crack and not just some casting flash?

If it really is a crack I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi there,

Somewhere in her life the starter lost a tooth. The starter was repaired/ replaced, but, the tooth wasn't retrieved. For who knows how many miles, that tooth was thrashing around the bell housing, creating cracks and even a hole!

I took it to an aluminium welder and he beaded the cracks and filled the hole. Amazing job. Just labour kosts.

mel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts