Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,526 Posts
... Since we are on this subject anyway you should get the reinforcing ring to bolt the flexplate onto the crank if you don't have one. ...
+1. The flex plates tend to get radial cracks from the bolt holes without that silly little plate.
:tup:
David

· Registered
10,526 Posts
Hello ,
I dont mean to butt in ... but ... I have an issue .
Hello Green. Not a problem, but to get best responses, you should generally start a new thread with a new subject for answers. It also makes it easier for other folks with issues to find answers later. In the mean-time...
When I tried to align everything , my starter won't bolt to the bell . the bolt holes don't line up.
I would first ask for more info. Is this a previously functioning setup or a new combination of parts? If it was working before, what has changed?

Generally, a starter alignment issue is usually just the wrong starter type. There are several types of Ford starters, but only two basic varieties for small block Fords - long and short nose. An automatic trans flexplate would use the long-nose version. See the pic below to determine which you have. Your answers will help us determine what the issue is.

David

The 'short' nose version has the drive gear mostly recessed into the starter body. The 'long' nose version has the gear mostly exposed in the opening. Ignore the rest of the starter appearance for now:

· Registered
10,526 Posts
... if you were to take the bell out of the mix everything lines up - spacer plate , starter to crank . the spacer plate seems to be smaller than the bell.
Ah, then there is your issue - not the starter. The block plate (spacer plate), flex plate, torque converter and bellhousing must match each other. From "spacer plate seems to be smaller than the bell", I have to assume your bellhousing is of the larger type (164T) and your block plate is the smaller one (157T). Here's the big problem:

• Is the flex plate and torque converter 157T or 164T? If they are 157T (which uses a 10.5" bolt-circle converter), then you need to replace the bell to match the rest.
  • If they are 164T (using a 11.5" bolt-circle converter) then you need a new block plate.
Note that the two flex plates cannot interchange converter type (except with a custom aftermarket version). To avoid spending the money on the wrong part, you need to identify all four parts, and replace the one that does not match. As I don't know what you had before (likely a 157T setup in 1968) or what the trans shop supplied, or if those parts matched, then I'd start from scratch and figure it out myself. Then I'd go the the trans shop and have them exchange for what you know you need at no charge.

David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.