Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bushings, Thrust washers, bands, sprag, etc. aren't included in most rebuild kits and I was wondering if there were any tips on knowing if they really need to be replaced. This is all going behind a 300 hp 289, street driven mostly, with a 2400 stall, shift kit.

My rebuild book only gives clearances on the end play, so I can think I can figure the thrust washers out.

How about the bushings? Anybody know what the clearances are supposed to be?

I was going to replace the intermediate band, but how about the reverse? It looks like it has no wear.

The sprag looks good too, but ???

Any info would be great! Most of these items are not super expensive, but they add up. I got the trans from a junkyard and am going through it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Check all the bushings & thrust washers visually for galling or excessive wear. If in doubt, replace it, they're cheap. I'd replace the front pump bushing just in case. The reverse band is good, I've only replaced one because it was broken.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The article in the archived thread on C4s says, "Some of these (thrust bearings and bushings) will be all right while others won't. Basically, any scoring you can feel with your fingernails is too much and indicates the need for replacement." Someone with a manual may have the bushing clearance data, unfortunately, I don't. However on another subject, when inspecting the front planetary, the gears shouldn't have more than .010" to .015". If they do, they need replaced with reconditioned units.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I think I'm just going to replace the bushings and washers, they are not to expensive.

Good info on the planetary assembly.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I always replace the front pump to conv bush + the rear ext housing bush.Any others as reqd.
The roller clutch springs should be inspected as they tend to break.They are cheap anyway.
Also make sure you replace the rear servo piston too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts