Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was able to get 6 smoothy clutchs in both clutch packs
It's time to set the clearence
I'v read .05 per clutch and .10 per clutch
What should i do??

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have been setting mine at .005 but due to the findings lately i may loosen that up a little in the future.I did experiment a while ago with one c4 i did with 4 clutches and set clearance to .040". it still worked fine.
The stock ford clearance is listed at .050-.070" with 4 clutches.
I would go somewhere between the .005+.010 per clutch for a total of around .045-.050".
I'm interested to see what the other guys think.
Check with 89coupe and see what his P.A c4 was,i cant remember exactly what it was set at...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I just did mine and have been dealing with Performance Automatic....
They have been great for tech support...

For the Clutch Packs they said
Forward Clutches .055
Intermidiate Clutches .030-.035

They have been alot of help with tech support Performance Automatic is a very good company to deal with.....

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
.005" on the foreward clutches and .007"-.010" on the direct clutches. PA says .010" on the directs but that is a little loose for me since I dan't want to tear it down that often so I'd say .007 would be a good compromise on the direct clutches. Do not use the smooth foreward clutches in the direct drum because the smooth clutches won't grab as good since there isn't any grooves to evacuate fluid from between them. The foreward clutches are smooth because as soon as you put it in gear, they are applied and stay applied thru all three gears but the direct clutches have to grab for third and you know how bald tires are in the rain...hydroplane! Use grooved foreward clutches(.061" thick) in direct drum for the added clearance to add an extra clutch and you won't have any problems with the clutches slipping or not grabbing very good during the 2-3 shift but the smooth clutches are not made to grab during a shift since foreward clutches are engaged as soon as you put it in first and they stay engaged thru all the gears.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have used the blue ones on the street no problems...

Dont know what myoldidisbroke
is talking about??????

I would like to know what kind of problems you have had with them....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I used the 'Blue Plate specials'in the C4 that was giving me so much problems and burned all the lining off of 4 out of 5 direct clutches. I don't think it was the fault of the clutches though. When I went thru the new trans I used Alto Red clutches and they seem to work fine. www.bulkparts.com is a good place to buy parts and their info for the Blue clutches says 'not for street use'. Maybe that is where this info came from.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 5/12/02 3:31am ]</font>

·
Registered
165 Posts
I personaly talked to Mark at Bulk Parts and he told me if I wanted the firmest shifts I could get that the blues would do just that, he also said they are not recomended for the street, but when I told him I wanted them for a pro street BBF stang with a C4 he just said that if I was going to drive that on the street then I would not care about shift firmness and he is right. so based on that I would not be affraid to run them at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the blues are not intended to slip as they would in a street driven trans. I will not use them again even thought mine is a trailer queen. I just had mine apart due to the direct drive drum breaking on a transbrake launch. I'm not impressed it the wear on these after 40 passes, I'll be going back to the reds next time around. Kolene steels are worthless as well.......

todd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts