Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
c4 column shift to floor shift

hi all,
the car is a '65 falcon with a green dot c4.
i'm hoping for some words of wisdom here. in doing a search of this and other forums i've found a lot of conflicting info on how to do this. i'm hoping to use a '64-'66 mustang shifter to give it a period look. the main problem seems to be the shift lever on the side of tranny. some posts indicate that all that needs to be done is remove the lever and shaft and rotate it to the verticle position. other posts say that this won't work and to use a lever from a floor shift tranny. only problem,
the local early ford bone yard and tranny shops think these are worth more than gold when they have one.
my question: can you flip the lever and if not where can i find a reasonably priced original floor shift lever. i'd rather not use a universal, but guess i will if i have to.
thanks,
frank

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

You will need the correct shift arm with the lever pointing up from a Mustang or other '60's C4 floor shift car.My Falcon has a Pinto floor shifter which is very similar to an early Mustang shifter. It is hooked up to an early Mustang C4 with the lever pointing up.I used an adjustable rod with 1/4 inch Heim joints to connect the shifter to the trans.

I just installed a column shift '65 Comet C4 in my 302 240Z using the stock Datsun floor shifter.Flipping the lever around so it pointed up didn't place the arm at the correct position to hook up the shifter which is very similar to a Pinto/Mustang unit. I had to cut the lever off and reweld it in a better postion to make it work.This might work for your Falcon also.The only problem is the stock Ford neutral switch which mounts to the trans can't be installed after the lever is flipped.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

jim,
thanks for the reply.
i was just under the car with a stock early mustang shift rod trying to figure out where to cut the hole for the shifter. looks like it has to go in front of or behind the tunnel brace. which maybe puts it to far forward or to far back? either way it's a tight fit and the linkage rod may hit something at full travel in park or low.
i can see now that in my car if i just flipped the shift lever it would hit the tunnel, so that wouldn't work anyway.
the tunnel in the falcon must be narrower than the mustang because the shifter backing plate doesn't want to fit the underside of the tunnel in my car.
where did you mount your shifter in the falcon and did you get a straight shot from bottom of the shifter to the shift lever on the side of the transmission for the rod linkage?
why did you use a pinto shifter? don't suppose you have a picture?
that morris minor must be amazing! as i recall the original A series motor was only about 950cc.
thanks again,
frank

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

Hey Frank,
Here's a not too great pic of the shifter. I cut a hole in the tunnel just big enough for the bottom part of the shifter to fit. Early Falcons with 4 speed floor shifters had a special sheet metal tunnel piece which bolted on to the tunnel and allowed more room for the shifter. I made a similar sheet metal "L" shaped piece which is pop riveted to the tunnel and acts as a mount for the shifter.The shifter is a straight shot to the trans but it is tight under there.When the car was going together years ago the self serve junk yards were full of Pintos and Mustang IIs which is the reason for the Pinto shifter.

The Morris has an early C4 also but it's hooked up to a B&M shifter. The original A Series Morris motor might get the car up to 70MPH top speed. Now with the Ford V8 the car goes 30MPH faster than that in the 1/8 mile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts