Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want change from a stock 1971 C4 converter to a 2500 stall. What brand or type would be recomended. I have been interested in B&M and TCI, they seem to priced reasonable. My ride is a '71 Ranchero GT, 351C 4V, mild cam and 3.70 detroit locker rear. They C4 tranny also has a shift kit.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I'd probably go a little higher on the stall speed. The 4v heads love rpm, in fact they really dont start working until 3000 or so. I'd go with a 3000 stall, maybe higher depending on how much time is spent on the street. You'd be surprised how a higher-stall converter will make the whole vehicle feel ligher, and so much more enjoyable to drive. You might even call some converter companies to see what they reccomend. Those guys live and breathe torque converters, so they would know more. You will have to have the vehicle weight, cam specs (lift, duration), tire size, gear ratio, amount of street use, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I concur. Call the various transmission/torque converter companies, and ask for their recommendations.
You WILL have to have pertinent information on hand, tho. Otherwise, generic, is generic. (i.e. you want what, with what?)
Also, you get what you pay for.......STAY AWAY FROM COMPANIES LIKE G.E.R.!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts