Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my C4 into the tranny shop. The forward clutch drum was cracked and the 3rd gear clutches were pretty burnt up, along with the thrust washers. Not very impressive for a TCI tranny with only 25,000 miles and 4 14 second runs down the 1/4 mile. Anyways, its costing me $490 to rebuild completely and I will also need a new converter. My previous converter was a TCI breakaway, which i expected to stall to 2400-2600, but only stalled to about 2000-2200 in my car. I want something with a little more stall and preferrably not a TCI unit, as i have had problems with their products. My car has 3.50 gears, a 302 with a Comp 270H cam and I am guessing weighs about 3000 pounds. What are some recommendations on converters?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Call the different converter companies, (i.e. TCS/TCI/Coan/PA/, ), etc, etc, and ask their recommendations. They (hopefully), will ask you all sorts of intricate questions about your car/engine combo. Engine size/hp/tq/intended usage/tire size/weight//mods/etc, etc.
Everyone will give you a different answer. It's up to YOU to decide how much you want to spend, etc. etc.
The more information you can give them, (and not just guesstimates), (i.e. hp/tq), the more exact they can be in their converter choice for you.

I highly recommend TCS and PA!
My .002

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. Could someone post some of the sites of companies they recommend for torque converters.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you punch in, (any different search engines will come up with the sites), like for instance. www.tcs.com or www.paperformance.com etc. etc.
You could even do it the hard way, and go to like NHRA.com and look under their sponsors banners. They usually have all the different websites, (or at least the ones that are NHRA sponsors websites, if they have one)............... Good luck, have fun..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts