Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my C4 reassembled, but when I tried to check the endplay it seemed extremely tight. So tight in fact, that I could barely fit a 0.010" feeler gauge between thrust washer #6 and the sun gear shell, while prying forward on the shell with a large screw driver. I also couldn't even turn the input shaft with a pair of pliers. I tried putting in some thinner washers, but nothing seemed to help.

After I had assembled the trans the first time I had an extra trust washer, but I wasn't worried about it since I had labeled each original thrust washer when I removed them during the disassembly, then compared each one to the new ones when reassembling. While messing with the endplay I noticed the number 6 washer didn't sit flush with the face of the reverse planetary. I have a 1977 shop manual which shows a thinner washer being used sitting flush on the planetary, which looks identical to the extra washer I had. I put the extra washer in in place of the bronze one I had in originally, and everything seemed much looser and normal.

So I have two questions:
1. Are my problems coming from using the wrong number 6 washer or;
2. Is the sun gear shell not fully engaging with the reverse clutch drum?

I'm starting to get a little frustrated, so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,450 Posts
That bronze washer is the wrong type for that planet . Some planets have that ridge and require the thinner thrust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that was the problem, but I wanted to double check first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts