Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ya, the holes are for the tangs on the original washer. No worries there.

As for the #3 washer... I "think" the nose of the planet is supposed to contact the #3 washer and the ring gear hub should "float" between the #3 and #4 washers.

I know it is that way on a C6, and I think it should be the same on the C4. I could be wrong....
Thanks for the clarification, I thought so, just double checking.

Per gregaust in the post above: "I always make sure the nose of the planet doesn't touch the #3 washer on the back of the forward [drum] also , saves wear there." So I read that as I have it setup properly. I'm not sure what I'd adjust to get that to contact, probably the #4 washer (bearing now) would need to be thinner, but to change that I'd have to cut the hub deeper, which I don't have the tooling for. They're usually on later, so we'll see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
No problem covering those holes in the reverse hub.
Note though in pic 3 the bearing is facing the wrong way. The cupped side of the bearing needs to sit in the hub recess . There should be a little clearance on the inside machined shoulder so the bearing clears it .

The bearings are directional . So the one between the front planet and fwd hub. The cup side will face machined recess in the hub. It should be a snug fit in this recess. (Some guys cut the outer wider than the bearing since it locates on the inner BUT I have some broken hubs I believe going wide here makes the hub thin)
The black side will go against the planet and locate on the inner shoulder. Hope that makes sense ??

Ok the Forward hub and planet as pictured there is right, sitting back like that is good .
Is there a bush in that hub? Just in the pics looks like there isn't ?

That #3 washer in standard form sees excessive wear where the planet touches it. By setting it back the washer see basically zero wear . Being that the forward hub is locked by the forward clutches in all forward gears , the only time that original washer sees any movement is in reverse.
So all thrust for the planet is then taken by the bearing between the planet & hub now. Doing it like this is why I don't believe there is a need for a bearing to replace the #3 thrust washer

This is totally different to a C6 setup. Yes in a C6 that fwd hub does float BUT a C6 has a bearing in the rear of the forward drum specifically for the nose of the planet.

For that #1 , I'd take the .120" on a flat surface and some sandpaper , take it down till it's a nice fit , smooth it up on some fine paper and done .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did not know they were directional, good thing I posted those pictures. So for clarification, do all the bearings go metal side into the recess for fitment, or do all of them go metal side towards the tailshaft for directional load?

Makes total sense on that #3 washer with your description.

I will sand down that #1 washer, good idea there.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Glad we caught it now . If the bearing sits in the recess then yes the cupped metal side in the recess . Doesn't make any difference how they are loaded , it's just in the setup on how it's all done. It all depends on how all the parts are machined .
For instance sometimes the bearing on the back off the rear planet has the pocket cut in the planetary rather than the rear hub. Some prefer to leave that rear hub uncut for added strength , although I've never seen any issues with breakage there . ( I've tried both ways work fine )
It's just variations on how to make up the added bearing thickness .

Hope that makes sense . If you're unsure please just add some pics or email to me I'm happy to help .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, makes sense, metal side in the recess. I'll get it back together sometime this week. Shouldn't have any more questions, but if I do I'll be sure to come back. Thanks so much!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts