Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My Dad has a stock '66 Fairlane with a green dot C4 and a 289 2v. This year when he took it out of storage, it would slip going into 3rd, the engine would rev up but not accelerate. Easing off the gas would complete the shift.

I changed the fluid and filter, using type F fluid as I suspected Mercron was in there. While I had the pan down, I also dropped the valve body in order to attempt some air checks. When checking the intermediate servo apply port, a lot of fluid blew out of the release port. I tried it again and again fluid/air blew out. The front servo did close the band, but not as well/cleanly as the rear servo. I was not giving it full pressure.

Does the amount of fluid/air blowing through the front servo indicate a bad sealing? Could this cause the flare going into 3rd?

Thanks, Dana
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,302 Posts
If you have continuous air leaking at the servo there is an issue. With the valvebody out it is easy to remove and check it .
They usually seal up 100% . You'll get the oil displacing as it applies but the air shouldn't.

If the leak at the servo is on the release side then could definitely cause the issue.

The 3rd gear apply and servo release are the same oil feed

Worth checking while you are there but without us knowing the history it could well be just old seals and worn frictions as suggested.
What was in the pan when you removed? Clean? Friction material?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Greg and GT350 for your replies.

As far as some history, the trans is stock and should be unmolested. The car has only 56k miles on it. My Dad bought the car in '66, in '75 he sold it to my Grandpa, who gave it back to him around the early 2000's. He took it to a Ford dealer for service. I believe they drained and replaced the fluid along with the filter. I think they used Mercron, I know they over filled it.

When I changed the fluid and filter, the fluid in there was still red and did not smell burnt. There was some black residue in the bottom of the pan, but not overly thick. I was able to wipe it clean with a rag, didn't need brake cleaner.

I had applied pressure to the intermediate servo release first, nothing major happened, it was already open. Then I applied it to the apply side and had fluid spray out the release hole. Freaked me out. Tried again and more came out and I chickened out and quit testing it because it seemed like I was just going to continually spray myself. Maybe I should recheck it.

The intermediate adjuster was originally set to one turn out. I loosened it to 1.5 turns out. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

The car does sit a lot, not many miles per year.

Thanks again for your help!
Dana
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top