Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got my new c4 all together 26 spline pan fill w/ TCI Streetfighter 3000 stall. Also have a B&M cooler, no cooler in radiator. I put 1 qt in the converter, and put 4 in the tranny before I started it up. After I started it I added 3 more qts. Now it says its way to full? About 3in up the dipstick. Thats only 8qts. My manual says it will hold 10 qts, and I expected it to hold less with the smaller (10in but the one that was in there was 11in) converter, but to be this full? I ran it through the gears while on jackstands, and I drove it around the block. All gears seem to work fine. If I drive it more will the fluid level go down? Is the dipstick right (case fill stick full line is 3in up and pan fill stick full line is about 1 3/4in up the stick)? Should i take fluid out?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've got a similar setup (except for a slightly larger converter), and I had the same thing happen. With the engine and tranny cold, I drained enough out to get it down into the FULL region. To really dial in the level, I had to put about 4 - 5 miles of driving to get the fluid to temperature.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took out about a 1.5 qts. Went for a drive, came back, checked it and its right on.

I think I'm going to like this converter

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I just finished the new C4 in my Morris and put 1qt in the 10inch converter 4qts in the trans,fired it up and added 2 more for a total of 7 qts.It reads way over full with the engine off and about right with the engine running in park. The '65 Mustang/Falcon factory manual calls for 8 qts 25 ounces.I'm using a Lokar flexable dipstick setup,I never thought it read right. The only way I can tell if it's right is when fluid quits blowing out the overflow after a few passes at the track.

You'll like that converter.I'm running one in my Falcon and have been happy with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts