Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1971 302 V8 and am looking at getting a 1979 C4 from a 300cid straight six. I was wondering do I need a flex plate and torque converter? Can I use the torque converter etc. with the V8 from the straight 6 or would I need to find one that was originally used with a 302? The 302 came with an FMX transmission and it has flex plate / torque converter. I would have to assume that they would not be interchangable (FMX to C4). Another option I am considering is adapting the FMX into it...

Any other thoughts? The truck it is going into is set up for a 302 C4 combo. So I expect everything from the bell housing back is going to be the same from C4 to C4. (I also have a C4 already in it but do not trust it, it has been sitting for a while) Unfortunately, there is no torque converter etc. for the one I already have.

I am looking at a C4 for $85 that comes with torque converter and flex plate and am hoping it will work without me spending more money.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume that the flex plate that I would need depends on the bell housing? Is there a specific one or only one C4 type that was used with the 300cid? I have seen that there are at least 3 flex plates that match with this era of era/type of C4. Any way to tell which one?

Also would the starter that is currently on the motor for the FMX transmission also work for that flex plate?

Thanks again,

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts