Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around this web forum and its wonderful. But I really cannot find the answer I am looking for.
I had pulled the engine/tranny on my 65 a year ago and recently put it all back it. When I finally got the motor running the tranny would not engage at all. I figured out that I did not properly seat the converter
. OK so yesterday I basically had to take everything apart and pulled the tranny. At least everything is clean.

The motor didn't run for more than five minutes before I figured I better find out what I did wrong with the tranny.

The question would be - Did I destroy the front pump or any part of it. How can I check? The trannys in the garage and my first thought is to take it to a shop for proper replacement of the pump but if its easy to fix I can do it myself. Who sells these parts?

Otherwise I would just put the converter back on properly and reinstall.

Ideas anyone?

chris

·
Registered
739 Posts
When installing a convertor you need three things to seat-
1) Input shaft into the convertor hub
2) Convertor stator on the tranny stator support
3) Convertor snout flats into the pump drive gear
I'm assuming that if you didn't seat the convertor properly, it means the convertor flats weren't engaged in the pump drive gear, that's why no pressure, no action in any gear.
Not positive that is the case, you could have simply not gotten the input shaft seated. But, back to my assumption.
Unfortunately what can happen is by doing that you create a bind between the convertor snout and the drive gear when the tranny bell is tightened to the engine. The interference can bugger up the rear edge of the snout and it can break the drive gear. I'd look at those pieces carefully which of course means pulling the pump body off the front of the tranny. (If you stand the tranny on its tailshaft, the rest of the gear train will probably remain in place.)
I might even get a new pump gear set (<$10) even if the old/new set look fine.
One guy's opinion.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
An easy way is to either put a pressure gauge on the test port or remove a cooler line and see if the pump is pumping and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts