Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that Hamlitt, and maybe a couple of others are running a Gear Vendors unit behind a C4. That, and a 9" with 3.73 gears would be a great combo behind a 393 c.i. small block in a slammed mid-'60s cruiser. What are your experience with this unit? Does the GV really give the best of both worlds, auto and "semi-auto"?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've got one behind a smallblock C-6 in a
68 Mustang. It's a pretty good setup but
a little pricey. The amount of overdrive
is a good compromise between performance
and economy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just took my stang into the local tranny shop for a mod to my valve body. When I picked it up, the owner was so happy with the C4 and Gear Vendor he plans on becoming a dealer for them. That kinda said alot about Gear Vendor I thought.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand they are very high quality pieces, and they cost accordingly. I like the idea of having a cruiser I can simply put in "D" and go, and then use it like a manual when I want to romp. Can you comfortably shift between gears?

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you want to get technical, what you
get is actually a six speed. I don't
bother to shift that many times- it's
unnecessary. I usually just use mine to
provide the o/d after I've shifted into
Drive.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do the same. Leave it set in auto mode so it shifts itself at 47 mph to overdrive. It's fun to run through the six speeds with your buddy who only has three. the first thing out of they're mouth is man, I need one of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts