Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years back I rebuilt my C4 in my 69 mustang 302 and installed a Transgo 47-2 shift kit. The trans sat on the shelf for 4 years while I completed the restoration on the car.
I just installed the trans . When the shifter is placed in drive it goes in right away. The same with reverse. Then a short trip up the street quickly revealled that it was a no shift into 2nd. So I tried to manually shift it into 2nd and it scuffed the rear wheels as if they were locking up. I pulled the shifter down into 1st and repeated the test run but upon shifting it manually into 2nd it did the same with the rear wheels. Obviously not a modulator problem. I readjusted the bands to the specs in the factory manual but no change. I was very careful in putting the trans together as well as installing the shift kit. I'm guessing that with the tranny sitting around for that period of time a valve may be stuck in the valve body??? Any ideas? I plan on taking the valve body apart tomorrow but i can't locate the instruction papers that came with the shift kit. Would anyone have a copy that they could post for me ? thanks in advance.......
John

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sent you a PM......

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it ..........thanks!

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on 'no shift' problem:
Just pulled out the valve body which i immediately noticed was covered in a light green varnish. Upon disassembly i noted that the 1-2 shift valve was sticking terribly and the 2-3 shift valve was stuck completely. I totally disassembled the VB noting that the passages were also covered in this varnish.
Goes to show you that a rebuilt automatic shouldn't sit around for a number of years before it sees fluid and usage. I hit a few areas of the VB with the last of the brake clean I had and it dissolved it and came up clean. Tomorrow I'll finish cleaning and polish the spool valves with crocus cloth.......That should do it.
It's a great time to put my new Sonnax C servo in.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i fixed the stick valves in the valve body , put it all back together with fresh fluid and still no shifting out of 1st gear and when I manually shift it into 2nd it appears I get engine braking...any ideas?? I'm getting pretty frustrated. thanks..

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the problem....primary throttle valve.....thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts