Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

C4 HELP! Bad Day at the Track

5K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Just Jim 
#1 ·
With all the excellent info available on this Forum on building a C4 maybe someone can help me out.My Morris early ('67)C4 has a false "neutral" on the 1-2 shift while racing. I leave in 1st and shift to 2nd @6000RPM and it goes into this false neutral and the motor revs to the moon because of no rev limiter.When I let off the gas and it slows down,2nd gear comes back and I can manually shift to high.It shifts manually 1-2-3 in the burnout box and when driving slow. In drive when driven slow it shifts 1-2-3. I tried leaving it in Drive at the track and it took off good in 1st and then instead of shifting to 2nd it hit this false neutral again so I let off and it went into 2nd and then 3rd.Instead of calling it a day I tried racing it by starting in 2nd and it acts like it starts in 2nd,momentarily goes into first,back to second and then can be manually shifted into third.The trans has a Transgo shift kit and H servo.I have put in a new shift cable and cleaned the manual valve in the valve body along with a new detent plunger and spring.Nothing seems to fix it.The problem has progressively gotten worse over the last few times out at the track.Sorry for the long post,but I 'm trying to give enough info for someone to help me out. Thanks.

#27 ·
Anytime Jim. Another thing you may want to watch, in the way of pressures, is if you have a full manual valvebody with a reverse pattern, the pressure for ALL gears should be a steady 140-160 lbs.The thing I'm shooting at is making sure it is the tranny as you say you are gettign another, just don't want to see you grow any grey hair!

#28 ·
Blown 54,what do you mean growing grey hair? It should be growing MORE gray hair.Hah.

I pulled the car off the trailer yesterday and it went in reverse fine,but it slipped so bad in any forward gear that I barely got it into the garage. Must have fried the direct clutch at the races with those 2nd gear starts. I pulled the motor to get to the trans and also got the trans out,which comes out the top not the bottom as a normal car. The fluid is smelly and dark maroon color not red.I'll pull it apart soon but want to build up the new trans first.The saga continues.

#29 ·
I pulled the trans out and tore it down. 4 of the forward clutch frictions had all of the lining burned off and the 5th one had very little lining. The reverse/high frictions looked OK but showed signs of slipping. The intermediate band was burnt/fried and glazed up.All of the seals looked good as did the internals of the pump.I guess I'll never know what caused the problem.
I went thru my "new"1968 C4 with Red Eagle frictions/Kolene steels, new bands,thrust washers/bushings as required,seals,gaskets and an "H" servo.I set both clutches with .025-.030 clearance and the input shaft free play to .020. It should be all back together and running in a few weeks.I sure hope the new trans works better than the old one.I'm not too fond of the "pink shirt syndrome" from all the trans fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.