Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a c4 in my 68 mustang and I keep breaking the forward drum. If I weld the holes I strip the teeth out. If I don't weld the holes I break the drums in half. My c-4 has a full manual reverse valve body. I am a master tech who has been building transmissions for awhile and I am stumped. My friend has been racing c4's with a 460 for years and never broke one. I only run on the street and my 351W can break them at will. I now have a pile of 10 broken forward drums. I am getting ready to go throught the trans and put the whole drivetrain in a 78 Cobra II. Does anyone know of an aftermarket drum or a fix.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: windsoreight on 1/4/02 6:22am ]</font>

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the 26 spline drum. THe trans I am dealing is the heavy duty c4 from a truck with the dipstick in the pan.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dynamic or someplace similar brazes the holes shut instead of welding. Any possibility you are getting too much heat into the drum? It might be worth your while to braze up the next one and try your luck. Tim R has done them both ways.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I weld them up I am very carful to weld a little and let it cool. I have built many of the c4's for friends and never had a problem. I really don't want to switch to a c6.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts