Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My car a 69 Mustang 302 has a hotter cam. The shift point is original from 2-3 about at 4000 rpm. The Engine has potentzial for moore power. How can I change the shift points for higher rpm`s shift points ?

Thank you.
Willy

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
if ti has a adjustable modulator valve screw it in 1/2 turn and try it till you get the rpm's where you want. Or shift it manually

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello

I wannt about 500-1000 rpm s higer shiftpoints or about
8 mph more. ( the modulator give my only about 3 mph. )

Willy

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Just curious what should be done to the govenor to raise the shift points? It sure would be nice if it shifted WOT about 6000 instead of 4800.Govenor reprogramming kits are available for Turbo 350s I've yet to see any C4 mods documented.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Just curious what should be done to the govenor to raise the shift points?

install a lighter spring

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 7/24/06 3:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If your transmission shifts at too low a R.P.M. at wide open throttle this can be raised by installing lighter governor springs. As a general rule the 1-2 shift should happen at 40 to 45 M.P.H. when the throttle is to the floor

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Seems like it would take a heavier spring at least on the primary side. Either way it would be a lot of trial and error requiring removing the tailshaft housing. My Morris requires engine removal to get the trans out and the tail shaft can't be removed in the car. Guess I'll just continue manually shifting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can raise the shift points by adjusting the kickdown rod if you have one hooked up.I have made my own adjustable bracket and attached it at the trans next to the kickdown arm and adjust till you get the shift you want ,BUT I only do that on a dragrace only because the auto downshifts will be high and harsh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where can I buy such springs ? For change the springs is the transmission to remove from the car ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where can I buy such springs ? For change the springs is the transmission to remove from the car ?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You don't have to remove the transmission from the car but you will have to remove the driveline and the extension housing from the transmission (tail shaft case).
If you find a place where you can buy the springs be sure to post it here - I have always had to resort to lightening the valve spool on the C4.
Paul

·
Registered
360 Posts
Paul, which piston do you lighten??
I lightened my secondary piston & went from 4000 rpm's to 4800 rpm's full throttle in drive.
Will lighting the primary piston also raise my full throttle up-shifts in drive? Thanks Bill

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The primary valve (the big one) is the one I lighten. The secondary valve is used to balance the tendancy of the governor to "hunt" or shift between on and off at a certain speed. (usually low speed with light throttle) If you got an 800 RPM rise in shift point I would bet that you lightened the large valve. If not, then you have done something that I haven't.
Are you testing the shift speed with the vacuum modulator connected? If so, disconnect it at the manifold and plug the nipple and try it again. That is the only way to test the governor shift point. Most vacuum modulators only need a small vacuum signal to take control of the shift point.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
PM sent - and you can disregard the question - I have remembered now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts