Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this infomation is in the tech board some where, but I could not find it. Can you guys help me identifie my C4. Here is what I see.

The flex plate has 164 teeth.
The bolt that hold the bell go thru the pump in to the case (7 bolts I believe)
The dip stick tube goes thru the case above the passanger side toward the front of the pan.

I could not find the part # tag.

I plan on rebuilding this trans with the following parts
TCI Race Overhaul
TCI or PA Manual Reverse Valve Body
TCI Billet Servo
I was also going to weld up the peanut holes.

I am going to put this trans behind my 398W with a toploader in my 69' Mach1. The car is only driven on the street every once in awhile. Like to drag it every weekend. The motor made 562hp @ 6800 RPM and I have added a dual stage 6 NX nitrous system. I don't think I will ever shoot more than 200 shot. Will this trans rebuild holdup.

Thank You in advance

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Still not enuff info to fully id the C4. Does the input shaft fit either way or just one way? If one way, then it is not the earlier model (60's) C4. Unless it is the one year with the 26/26 spline shaft.

Also it is not the "heavier duty" C4. Those had the dipstick in the pan and the bell bolted to the case not the pump.

You might want to see if 64TBolt has any of the steels he had machined so you can add more clutes to the clutch paks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I started take the trans apart tonight. The input shaft has a 24 spline on the end that goes into the trans and a 26 spline on the convertoer end. The valve body part number is D2, so I am thinking this is a 72 trans.

Gregaust, If you read this post could you please send me the articles on modifing a C4. I see you have a lot of know how when it comes to these trannys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts