Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C4 has been working properly...until yesterday. It suddenly has no drive or reverse. When I shut off the engine, I can hear something near the front of the trans making a slight grinding noise for 1 second or so after the engine stops turning. I don't have a pressure gage so I can't check the line pressure. I pulled pan and the valve body to look for stuck valves in the VB (all OK) and to see if I could determine what was making the noise. I did notice that I could turn the input shell by hand when I had the VB off. I thought the input shaft splined into the input shell, and that it would not turn unless the engine was turning??? Is it possible that the input shaft has slipped out of the input shell??? I don't think I have a broken input shaft, as the last time I drove it, it was just around the block a few times to check my carb tuning. Any ideas before I pull the trans to see whats going on?

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
There's no way the input shaft can slip out..The input shell will spin ..A basic check if you have any pressure is to remove one of the cooler lines and crank over or start for a second and see if there is any flow.
With the v.b out do some air checks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get fluid out of one of the cooler lines when the engine is running, but not when just cranking. I can stop the flow by putting my thumb over the hose end. I'll have to drop the pan and VB later when it gets a little warmer in the garage to do the air checks. Any idea what the grinding noise I described in the 1st post could be? It sounds like something in the bell housing is free wheeling for a couple seconds after the engine stops turning??? Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out what the problem is. I removed the transmission, and the inside splines in the turbine in the torque converter that the input shafe goes into are stripped/missing. This was a new remanufactured Dacco converter. I did not even think to look inside the converter before I installed it in the transmission, so I don't know if it was stripped when I received it or not.
Anyone have this happen before?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts