Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I will be installing a C4 tranny in my 85 gt. The car has a T5 now. Will I have to make mods to the crossmember or driveshaft ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
..i have done the swap many times. all you have to do is grind off the 2 small spot welds on the bottom side of the crossmember where it connects to the bushing tubes....slide it forward around 1" ...very easy to do! the 5-speed driveshaft will fit fine. good luck (you shouldn't need it
) , ron.

'91 gt, 357", track heat heads, victor efi upper/lower, custom comp cams retro roller, nitrous works 260 hp 2-stage plate, 3800 10" no2 converter, holley digital ignition, bbk/edelbrock 75 mm throttly body, homebuilt c-4 (a big thanks to gregaust !) 4.10 gear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rj on 6/15/02 6:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
This is an easy swap. I did it to my 85 GT also. Ditto on the cross member. You will also have to remove the input shaft bushing thats in the rear of the crankshaft. I would make sure that the converter fits in the end of the crank before you install the trans. It should have a nice slid fit, not tight or loose. The block plate that comes with the T-5 will work by either cutting the bottom portion off, or using a hole saw make a hole big enough to access the nuts for the converter. The clutch pedal will need to be down to start the car, so I just keep the floor mat over the pedal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts