Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am original owner of '76 Bronco with C4 that is working perfectly. However, has been leaking trans fluid for past few months. After 30 years really can't complain. Truck has seen only low duty mileage and never abused so am sure internals are fine.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace main seals without tearing the transmission apart. (Not leaking from dipstick tube.) I know it will have to be removed from truck.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Registered
133 Posts
Too many places that can leak to give you an answer.

438 inch Dart block Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 950 HP carb, external wet sump oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 315/60/15 MT's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chipmechanic on 6/11/06 12:18am ]</font>

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace main seals without tearing the transmission apart. (Not leaking from dipstick tube.) I know it will have to be removed from truck.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement.
Rear main seals are in the engine.

But for a transmission leak from the front end.
It could leak from the pump seal, O ring, gasket, or all 3.
You will have to take it apart to find out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stuart1 on 6/11/06 11:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stuart 1
It is leaking trans fluid from front of trans not engine oil. I am trying not to get involved with learning complicated internals as trans is working fine. If I remove trans what is involved with replacing all three you mentioned?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Remove the convertor, bell housing and pump.

Split the pump and replace the bushing, seal, Oring and gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts