Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '66 Mustang, '72 302, C4 transmission, only leaks after a few days after it has sat. It doesn't leak while I am driving, nor when I shut the car off, only after it has sat a few days, then it drips from the pan, and seems to be wettest at the parting surface of the pan and trans.case It is not from the "o" ring on the dip stick tube, nor the shift attach point on the left side of the case. It almost seems that there is something like a check valve allowing the pan to get too full when it is static. I am not "up" on the internals of a transmission, but am planning on changing the gasket and checking the pan bolt holes for dimpling. I am trying to see if it is something that could be internal, other than that it shifts normally, and no other problems than a cup or so of fluid in the drip pan after a week or so of inactivity. Thanks for any help.............

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wow, a cup a week or so is a lot. Are you sure it's not leaking at all when you're driving it?

I'm thinking that you have dimpled pan surface as well... The torque convertor likes to drain into the pan after shut down, this will raise the fluid level by as much as 2 quarts in some trannies, and occasionally causing the same results as you are having.

FE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it is leaking while driving, because the pan is dry and stays dry after I drive it for about a week or so. (I have wiped the pan dry before a drive). I was just concerned that it wasn't something internal, as long as I will have the pan off. Thanks

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The converter fill check valve is allowing it to leak back over-filling the case. Make sure the rails on the pan are straight, use a small amount of gasket maker by Loc-Tite on both sides of the gasket and do not over tighten - just barely snug. then after a half hour go back and tighten the pan to specs.
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts