Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just went through the C4 in my 68 Ranchero, I kept it all stock, with the exeception of replacing the servo with an H servo I got from a parts trans (replacing the stock A servo).

3rd gear was working fine for while, but it always had this flare up on the 2-3 shift (the shift point was quite high and slow, lots of slippage). Now, it will shift into 3rd, but slip. When you give it more gas, it just slips. So, I have to keep pulling it back to 2nd to make it down the road.

Any idea's on what's happening? and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
When you went through the tranny did you replace the clutch apply piston seals? Did you check them with air? are the bands adjusted? what was the pack clearance on the direct pack? did you get the valve body back in correctly and is the linkage adjusted correctly? is it full of type "F" ATF? The "A" and "H" servos have about the same apply side area so it shouldn't be necessary to modify the restriction in the valve body to make it work so your problem has to be somewhere else. My bet would be the apply piston seals are not sealing properly. Maybe someone can come up with something I missed.
Paul

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, heh, no... I didn't replace the piston seals. Reason being, the trans was working fine, I only pulled it to replace gaskets and seals as it was leaking everywhere. I didn't have the tool to compress the pistons, and my logic was "it was shifting fine before", so I didn't bother.

Dang, is there a source out there for the tool to compress the pistons? Looks like I'm pulling the tranny again.

Thanks,

-chunger

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
WHen I rebuild my C-4 I used no tools to compress any pistons or rings what-so-ever... Did I not replace them? Or, is my 1st Generation C-4 devoid of such creatures?

FE

·
Registered
861 Posts
Falconaround every transmission has inner seals in the drums.
The drum that uses a tool to compress the spring is the direct or front drum.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
WHen I rebuild my C-4 I used no tools to compress any pistons

you musta had some big o-rings left over.HMMMM where do these go

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had alot of parts left over. Problem was, the rebuild kit was a little too universal - seemed to cover lots of years & applications.

BTW, I just got off the phone with B&M Tech support - it was their shift kit I used, they think I must have left a small plastic check ball in the valve body - that could be causing the delayed, slow shift.

I'll drop the valvebody this weekend and see if I forget it in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I suppose B&M told you to omit the gasket in the valve body too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Yes, B&M has you keep the separator plate gasket out when they supply a new plate in the kit and when you drill the existing plate larger than the holes in the gasket. That is just one of the reasons that I don't use B&M kits. Another reason is that they sometimes replace the main regulator spring with a slug. (A piece of steel that takes the place of the spring at a given length to boost pressure by cutting off some of the relief port.) Can you say exploding transmissions?
All it takes to make a piston spring compressor is a flate plate, 1/2"nf threaded rod, a bent piece of flat bar a lock nut and a union nut (a long nut made to join two pieces of threaded rod. I suppose I ought to make a drawing and post it. If I draw it out can someone post it on our sticky thread if I email it to them?
Paul

·
Registered
861 Posts
A drill press will work as well.
It ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Stuart1,
Do you use some kind of attachment on your drill press to use it as a spring compressor? I am not sure I follow.
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts