Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new C4 trans with full manual valve body, do I need the kickdown lever any more?

Also a side note, if you have a stage 2 transgo shift kit (still automatic) do you NEED a kickdown if you shift up and down manually, or will it damage the trans without kickdown?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Lack of kickdown will not hurt the trans.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the guy I got the trans from says it's a semi manual, and he used the vacuum line but no kickdown, and it downshifted when in 3rd automaticly...
is this possible with vacuum alone?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I disagree. You will have inadequate line pressure, IF you do not have a manual valve body.

If by semi-manual you meant the car has a manual valve body, then no, you don't need the kickdown. With just a shift kit and shifting it by hand, you WILL burn up the transmission by not having it attached and properly adjusted.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On 2006-07-03 19:51, thekingofazle wrote:
I disagree. You will have inadequate line pressure, IF you do not have a manual valve body.

If by semi-manual you meant the car has a manual valve body, then no, you don't need the kickdown. With just a shift kit and shifting it by hand, you WILL burn up the transmission by not having it attached and properly adjusted.
This info is just plain wrong. The kickdown is not necessary and will not hurt the trans one bit. I've got thousands of passes at the track manually shifting the C4s in my Falcon and Morris and they are showing no ill affects. Neither car is manual shift only and will shift automatically if desired but the downshift isn't connected.Both have a TransGO shift kit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 7/4/06 11:28am ]</font>

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2006-07-03 20:27, Just Jim wrote:
Both have a TransGO shift kit.
transgo stage 1 or 2, or full manual?

I still have the kickdown and vacuum line hooked up, but the car doesn't shift down into first when I come to a complete stop and leave it in 3rd gear

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
I have to jump in here and agree with Jim about the kickdown etc.I think he uses the transgo -2 kits in his early c4's .
If your trans doesn't drop into 1st at a complete stop you have either governor or shift valve issue .

I too have run many c4's with no kickdown and no issues.
I have never got around to checking the hydraulic circuits (will have to now) to see but my understanding is the kickdown valve to put it simply puts pressure below the shift valves to create a delay for the upshifts against the governor pressure or if the kickdown pressure exceeds governor pressure the shift valve will move back for a downshift.
Keep in mind the kickdown is only activated at the very end of throttle travel so pressures will be unaltered right up to that point.

Without the kickdown shifts will be a little earlier but then there is the throttle boost valve which the books explain delays shifts with a throttle opening over a certain degrees,i think it was 50* from memory.

Line pressure is affected to a point by the amount of vacuum that the modulator sees.

Just out of interest too ,i am just trying now a c4 valvebody kit made by a guy here in Australia that is semi auto.(still shifts in drive) It runs a constant line pressure around 180-200psi in 1,2,D and reverse, pressure is unaffected by vacuum ,so it is ideal for boosted applications. It is a nice kit ,i can't wait to try and see how it all works.

In saying all this though i am open to technical proof of how the "no kickdown" will burn up a transmission.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 7/4/06 1:12pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gregaust on 7/4/06 1:14pm ]</font>

·
Registered
634 Posts
C-6. No kickdown. Stage 1 transgo. No problems at well
over 25,000 miles. I've heard that BS story before as well
about lack of a kickdown burning up the trans. At the last
filter change we looked (closely) and what wear we did see
was normal or maybe slightly less than average wear.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well, I've noticed a fluid temperature drop after correctly adjusting my transmission kickdown.

And every single ford transmission manual I have read says this.

You could call it hearsay, but I dont question my calculus textbooks at school either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Dont have kickdown connected on my C-4, stg2 shift kit and 10psi on the mod, manually row the cogs, no probs, box has done 20k street miles and probably 200 passes, still hanging together after maxing out a local chassis dyno. Probably could say with some confidence that having the k/dn disconnected wont hurt a C-4

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On 2006-07-03 18:33, PhiberOptik wrote:
the guy I got the trans from says it's a semi manual, and he used the vacuum line but no kickdown, and it downshifted when in 3rd automaticly...
is this possible with vacuum alone?
I use the TransGo -2 kit. The instructions state the down shift doesn't have to be hooked up.

I would question the guy you got the trans from what he means by "semi manual". With a full manual it shouldn't downshift unless done so manually. If the trans will shift automatically then yes it is possible under certain conditions for it to downshift when in 3rd with just the vacuum hooked up.

Maybe the misinformation of burning up the trans unless the downshift is hooked would apply to an AOD but not a C4. If the "downshift linkage" on an AOD isn't hooked up or mis adjusted then yes it will hurt the trans but not a C4.

·
Registered
614 Posts
On 2006-07-03 19:51, thekingofazle wrote:

maybe he is thinking of an aod, that surely will burn up if it the kickdown has not been adjusted correctly

·
Registered
2 Posts
just bought a 65 ford galaxie with a 289 and i have some questions...the guy basically wanted to get rid of it and i see why....it looks like it was once an automatic with overdrive(on the steering column)..well...i start out and have to shift from the column in drive, then shift down into overdrive to change to 2nd..when i get to about 60 mph, its shifts into 3rd....it runs great, never overheats and stays at a constant 180-190 range...when i slow down to about 40 mph, it downshifts automatically...looks like he has a 3 speed manual trans....the kickdown is there, but doesnt seem to be any use...is there any need for concern driving it like this, or should i put some kind of floor shifter in this??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts