Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not finding this one in the searches so here goes.
I have a 77 or 78 Monarch c4 trans in my streetrod and need to put a switch on the trans. Can I use any year since the connection will get cut and modified to match my plug?
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this with my 1970 C4, the replacement switch was somewhat more expensive than other years, but since it's going in a 55 the harness doesn't matter. While the tranny isn't in the car yet, the switch, I think from the early 80's, bench tests just fine.

Don

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately this is not always the case.
I have a 75 transmission with a shifter lever #D5OPP-AA and the neutral safety switch I purchased doe not fit.
If anyone can tell me exactly what this trans is from so I can buy another N.S.switch I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I thought you said it was a Monarch? If you're now not sure, we would need the numbers on the build tag to ID it positively. A D5 number means it was engineered for '75 and any number of years after. I have not had interchange issues, but maybe it was luck. What switch did you buy, and how does it not fit?

David

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purchase a 69 Mustang switch and the shifter lever need to come out the bottom of the switch.
That part number is for the shifter arm and that is what will determine the switch I use.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I'm still confused why it will not fit. I have used the same switches for both column and floor shift versions (top and bottom shift arms) without issue. Do you have a different clearance problem? Perhaps you can post a pic of the switch to verify it's a C4/C6 switch.

David

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still confused why it will not fit? David
Same here David. I can only assume this was one of the ODD BALL Ford changes.

If you look at the pictures I posted you will see that my shifter lever is above the selector shaft compared to below. The clearance I have above the shaft center-line and the first bend is 3/4" and the switch needs 1".

I restored Mustang so I order a 66 Mustang switch since they are cheap and I know them. Below is the confirmation part # and it is what I have.

1 SW877 $41.59 12/15/66-69 C4,C6 NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH. HAS FOUR WIRE PLUG.

Dave

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Dave, I can't determine an answer. I compared the three basic switches, and physically they are the same basic dimensions. The only obvious difference is the four different connectors used between the 66-69, 70-77, and 78-83 versions. I don't see added clearance for later years.

There were overlap years for each version. Oddly enough, the mid-year version was changed for most models in '77, but the Monarch (only) continued to use that switch until 1980, and I assume it was a wiring harness reason.

David

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did Ford offer any other neutral safety switches? or Is the lever able to be rotated? This of coarse would create more problems for me going from a pull shift to a push shift.
I am thinking that I will need to build a switch on my shifter. The shifter I have is for my console. Changing one thing leads to another and another and another.
I just installed a sway bar this winter..... After I reinstalled the front clip and engine I finally moved on to the inside wiring.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I could never get my Neutral switch to fit either, but i had no idea what the switch yr. was, C-4 was a 70's. Ended up buying a Lokar neutral switch that adapted quite well, i;m thinking lokar still make them ,this was about 6-7 yrs ago

·
Registered
861 Posts
Did Ford offer any other neutral safety switches? or Is the lever able to be rotated? This of coarse would create more problems for me going from a pull shift to a push shift.
I am thinking that I will need to build a switch on my shifter. The shifter I have is for my console. Changing one thing leads to another and another and another.
I just installed a sway bar this winter..... After I reinstalled the front clip and engine I finally moved on to the inside wiring.

In order for the switch to fit the lever must be rotated.
Or a lever with a longer throw.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up mounting a switch to my shifter. Can not start the car in neutral but the car can't be started in reverse either.
Safety first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts