Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car taken to a towing company to have it transported to Florida. When I backed the car out of my driveway it slipped a little in reverse then engaged fully. The Transport company called me four days later and stated that they could not get the car to go into reverse. When you start the car and put into reverse the car does nothing. In 3 rd. gear the car goes forward. In park with the car running it tries to lerch forward. When you shut the car off and put it in nutral you can push the car forward but you can't push it backwards. The car was 3 qts. low on fluid. I do race the car about five times a year. Do you think the tow company did something to the car or was it just the transmissions time. The car is a 66 Mustang witha 302.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I have seen a C4 with a broken belleville spring with your symptoms. The forward pack was jammed up and wanted to go forward in all gears but locked up in reverse. Could be your problem.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good grief.

The transmission slipped in your own drive way.
It was 3 quarts low on fluid.
You race the car.

Now you want to blame some poor S.O.B. for wrecking your transmission?

Get a grip.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clear things up. I am in Florida waiting for my mustang to be delivered from New Jersey. The transport company in New Jersey is telling me that the trans. was three qts. low on fluid and the car will not move in reverse.. I was in NJ when they put it on a flat bed after I pulled it out of my garage. The car sat for four days in there shop before they called me in Florida with this good news about my Mustang. I don't think I can blame the tow company due to the fact that I do race the car and It could have been on the way out.

Bob

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Sounds like the tranny had come to the end of its road.
If they can get it to you you might be able to find out what happened when you tear it down. It really does sound like age and abuse - natural causes for a racing tranny.
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts