Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tranny doesnt seem to be kicking down. I have the kickdown rod hooked up. At WOT, the rod is almost all of the way depresed (only about 1/4" of travel left). It is still hooked up to the linkage comeing out of the tranny. Oh, and its a early C4.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If your carb is raised higher than stock, then your kickdown rod is now too short. It needs to totally depress the arm on the trans at WOT. try to straighten out as many areas on the rod as possible to make it longer while still clearing everything until you have full depression of the kickdown arm on the trans.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have to take out ALL play in the kickdown rod? So at WOT they are both at their stops (carb and tranny)?

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
If not on the tranny stop, it should be damn close. I've had to do this often every time I changed intakes or engines in my cars. It comes as natural as putting new oil in your new engine. You get use to it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it hits both stops now. it doesnt kick down when Im going kinda fast, but it will kick into 2ed at 30mph. I looked at the linkage and it is moving the lever at the tranny all of the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts